Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default would you take your kid in to convenient care?

my three year old has been saying "my tummy hurts" for the past three or so days. but she is acting completely normally otherwise, including pooping and peeing. i think its a thing (shes busy climbing over me right now and trying to feed me imaginary cupcakes), and that its not real. she doesnt cry but she does keep saying "my tummy hurts, i need a doctor". i can see how it is worrying. my husband is stressed out by this and wants me to go to convenient care. i really dont. i know part of it is that it may end up costing $$. how do you know in this sort of situation? now shes begging me to make her a paper fan and read her a book. she looks and sounds normal!

i told my husband this morning that im not going to take her in but he looked upset with me. im inclined to take her in just so that he wont be upset...

before i take her in later on in an hour or two, anyone have any opinions? any guidance on what your family uses before you go to the clinic?
    glib-gabbety puke stockings.
    ds 11/09
    dd 10/13

Default would you take your kid in to convenient care?

How often does she say it? I don't think that you need to take her if she's eating normally, going to the bathroom normally and if it doesn't get in the way of her enjoying life. Not sure what the doctor would do. Palpate abdomen? I don't see them taking bloodwork or doing an X-ray without vomiting/diarrhea or severe pain.

Ds2 is 3, and recently he's been complaining about various things hurting and wants to go to the doctor.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Hmmm, that's a tough one. DD often says something hurts (ear, tummy, ect) but acts fine. She also like to take medicine, thinks it's yummy...sigh. DH always wants me to take her in "just in case", but I have to draw the line somewhere. Can you call your ped a speak to a nurse? They are pretty good about knowing what should be seen or not. That may also pacify your DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

oh, i feel silly now. i completely forgot about calling a nurse! yes, ill do that. glad i wrote here!
    ds 11/09
    dd 10/13

Without a fever or change in temperament or habits, no. Mine usually say that when they need to poop. Or they're hungry.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wait and see, they probably won't be able to tell anything, won't run tests, if he's so insistent, have him take her!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have no idea what convenience care is. Is that urgi care or is that walk in at your current office? Never heard that term.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    oh, i feel silly now. i completely forgot about calling a nurse! yes, ill do that. glad i wrote here!
    That is what I was going to suggest too. Whenever I'm not sure I call the pediatrician's office and they'll have our doctor or nurse practitioner call back and give advice to either come in or things to look for.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

i ended up calling the nurse and we will wait and see. convenient care is something that our local hospital system has. its a walk-in system, no need for appts. sometimes we arent charged anything and sometimes we are charged a lot. i am embarrassed to admit that i dont know our policy enough to know when or why. most of the times its been covered 100% w no copay, usually for things like earaches + fevers, etc. but other times, yeah.... its almost as bad as a trip to the e.r. which under our plan is like $200-300 out of pocket.
    ds 11/09
    dd 10/13

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It is probably a low level virus that is causing some discomfort/pain, but no other gi symptoms. Has happened to my younger two DC who are healthy kiddos. My eldest tends to get hit much harder with additional gi symptoms when he gets sick. I would give her some mild foods and probiotics and ride it out unless she starts running a fever or having more symptoms.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast