Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Posting with an update in case someone searches for this thread. Our 13 month old LG WM3670HWA just broke. It’s just out of warranty so it’s going to cost us $630 to fix a washer that is retailing for $650. Off to research Electrolux models.

I just bought the electrolux set on sale at Sears about two weeks ago when our lg dryer died. We have ours stacked. Definitely seems to have more capacity than our old lg set. I have the 617 models and paid $900 for each. Home Depot has similar pricing but Sears could deliver more quickly.

Glad to hear that those that have had the Electrolux for a while still are having a good experience.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    For what its worth, the capacity thing is tough to gauge because they used to be pretty willy nilly on how to measure capacity, manufacturers were creative in how they measured it in order to have a high capacity.

Then the federal rules changed (sometime since 2000, not sure when) and they had to account for the measurements exactly (ie, taking out volume for agitators and fins or whatever else took up volume inside the drum.)

I was super confused how my old small footprint front loader had such a "big capacity" and one salesman finally clued me in that if they measured the drum on my old one using the new rules, it would have a much smaller capacity than it was listed for. Indeed, my new machine capacity is MASSIVE compared to my old one though the specs show they should be much closer in size.

Not sure if you ran into this or not, but FYI for others shopping and being confused about it!
    This whole thing about measuring capacity is interesting...the capacity is the one thing keeping me from a Speed Queen. That, and the fact that you can't switch the door hinge on the front-load SQ models. I am still thinking of getting a traditional SQ top-loader but worried about fitting a dog bed in it and do NOT want to have to go to a laundromat just for dog beds and King comforters.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Posting with an update in case someone searches for this thread. Our 13 month old LG WM3670HWA just broke. It’s just out of warranty so it’s going to cost us $630 to fix a washer that is retailing for $650. Off to research Electrolux models.
    If you bought it with a credit card check to see if they automatically extend the warranty. I have the Costco Visa card and you get an extra 24 months on the warranty automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    ...the capacity is the one thing keeping me from a Speed Queen. ...I am still thinking of getting a traditional SQ top-loader but worried about fitting a dog bed in it and do NOT want to have to go to a laundromat just for dog beds and King comforters.
    The smaller capacity is part of what kept me from a Speed Queen, but I was able to look at one in person (top loader) and it looked small, so it wasn't just an issue on paper. I also didn't like how it old it looked yet cost more than other models that I had been researching, yet also lacked the efficiency.

Decide if you want top loader or front loader, and measure your space. Decide your budget. Find out if you are going to buy locally and if so, if there are limits on what brands are available to you.... I live in an area with Lowe's, Sears, and two independent appliance stores. Electrolux was not available to me, although Speed Queen was.

I have a Maytag top loader and have been quite happy for the 3ish years I've owned it. I considered it a toss up whether it would have frequent error codes and repairs, and poor cleaning, but it has not had any of those problems. I was also very realistic: I knew I would have to adjust some of my washing routines to gain the energy and water efficiencies, so I was not frustrated. I also know most modern machines will last about 10 years, about half as long as old machines lasted.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Love my speed queen. It’s new last year. Holds a queen duvet or three blankets. No size issues at all. We do so much laundry. It’s a tank.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Love my speed queen. It’s new last year. Holds a queen duvet or three blankets. No size issues at all. We do so much laundry. It’s a tank.
    Would you be willing to share your model numbers? Or if you only have a washer, your washer model number?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I also turned away from the SQ, based on how "old" it looked, how the salesman poo poo'd the water usage. etc. Now, I have an LG that is 18 months old, which will NEVER last 10 years. You can just tell it isn't long for this world. It feels so flimsy. I wish I'd have just gotten the ugly tank SQ! It didn't fit my space well though (the LG was literally the only modern front loader that fit).

I'd had a Maytag top loader on order but heard here and many places elsewhere on the web about clothes shredding with the model I got. I could not risk that, so I cancelled that order.

My old one was a Kenmore front loader (Whirlpool??) which lasted 15 years. It was GREAT. Probably should have just fixed the darn thing.

New ones just aren't like that. Too many bells and whistles. Too much electronics. Too much plastic. They ALSO change 'em up every year to keep 'em "fresh", so they don't leave them in manufacturing long enough to find out what the problems will be.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default New washer / dryer recs?

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Yes. I washed a queen size duvet, our couch cover, and a lot of towels in one load with no problems. The only times I haven’t felt it big enough I have gone to the laundromat (which is rare).

This is the model we have:
    Speed Queen middle model (there are three models.....the First has no extra rinse, and the third has a few more options and now an electronic menu, but in defense of electronic the laundromat speed queens have had a similar menu for 20 yrs....used them in college).

We are still having good luck with our Electrolux dryer and if I ever had to get a front loader again I would get an Electrolux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-23-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Would you be willing to share your model numbers? Or if you only have a washer, your washer model number?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Model is AWNE82SP113T

just the washer.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2