Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default "dye-free" food coloring

I am a Girl Scout leader. One of the girls in my troop is affected by artificial red and yellow food dyes. I want to prepare or purchase icing for them to do a team building cake decorating activity. Is there a brand of natural food color that could be used to color white icing that works well and does not affect taste? If so, where do I get it? I have major regional grocery stores, walmart/target, trader joes, michaels, and with more effort whole foods or fresh thyme.

I plan to confer with the mom, but I would like to already have a plan..... of course, my first plan may be to have her bring the icing. : )

Thanks for your help!

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could you use white icing and decorate with cut fruit?

Or blend some fruit and mix ... Strawberries for pink and blueberries for purple?
    Last edited by abh5e8; 10-27-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I too would just go with white. No need to complicate things.
    But, maybe these dyes are ok? https://www.amazon.com/India-Tree-Na.../dp/B001EQ5BXA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd use vanilla icing, maybe with the option of chocolate too for contrast. If you use boxed cake mix or prepared frosting check the label for colors because I've seen food coloring in some brands of both.

This post has a few other suggestions of ways to decorate without dyes: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...liday-cookies/

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

This just came across my FB feed. I briefly skimmed through, so not sure how helpful it will be. http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/83444/natural-food-dye

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    This just came across my FB feed. I briefly skimmed through, so not sure how helpful it will be. http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/83444/natural-food-dye

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    This is cool-thanks!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will have them make something decorated with fruit instead. Good idea.

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know you've already figured out a solution, but for anyone looking for food dyes that would work in this situation, I'd recommend the Color Garden brand. I've bought it at Whole Foods and online. It's a plant-based food dye that works well in frosting and icing in my experience, and also has worked as a temporary hair color for the kids.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School