Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy questions

My DS has discovered the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and has read the first book, checked out from the library. He would like to continue reading in this series. I thought I would get him a 'boxed set', but am completely overwhelmed by all of the various books and variations of the books. It seems the author wrote several books and rewrote the books to address inconsistencies and perhaps wrote some more.

If someone is a fan of these books, please recommend what I should purchase!

Thanks!

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

These were all the rage when I was in high school (80s). I think there ended up being 5 or 6 in the "trilogy" but I don't think I read beyond Thanks for All the Fish, which I think is number 4. I'm not much help since I read them before all the revisions (and the movie) you are referencing.

I don't think of these as kid books, but can't remember anything specific to point to as inappropriate. I have the first four in my bookcase somewhere but haven't ever gone back to reread, except maybe the first one. DS wouldn't be interested, but my (20-something) niece might, hmmm.

eta: 42! but I found the most memorable to be the concept that learning to fly is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Last edited by rlu; 10-27-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy questions

The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a good one. It has, I think, the first four books. And it is reasonably priced.

ETA - Whenever someone asks me "Can I ask you a question?, I always answer 42 because it is a pretty versatile answer to whatever the question may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ellies mom; 10-27-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Ultimate Guide PP mentioned is probably the best single one out there.

As for the inconsistencies, etc, Hitchhikers was originally a radio show, which was turned into a TV series, which was turned into a book series. I think. Which have all then been adapted into other media (movies, etc.) The regular books are the ones you'd probably want. The others are transcripts from the radio show/tv shows.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agreeing, Ultimate Guide is by far the best. I remember being disappointed by the others. So I would probably get a nice copy of that one, esp if it came with other books "combined" into 1.
    K

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you everyone for the information. I will look for the ultimate guide.

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post
    These were all the rage when I was in high school . . . I don't think of these as kid books, but can't remember anything specific to point to as inappropriate. I have the first four in my bookcase somewhere but haven't ever gone back to reread, except maybe the first one. DS wouldn't be interested, but my (20-something) niece might, hmmm
    I haven't read the book(s).... My son will be 14 at Christmas.... Is there something "adult" about these books that should concern me?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I haven't read the book(s).... My son will be 14 at Christmas.... Is there something "adult" about these books that should concern me?

Thanks!
    Nothing "adult" as I can think of. I've read part of the first one to my son, and other than being a bit embarrassed about some of the language, it's fine. (And nothing he hasn't heard before, I just don't want to be the one saying it, IYKWIM.) Commonsensemedia rates the first book as okay for 11-12 year olds.
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/boo...-series-book-1 I tihkn one of the reviewers has it right: "There's a lot of strange sexual references, but these are brief and some young readers would likely miss them entirely. There's scattered language and some strangely disturbing ideas...which are presented as comedy"
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

I should probably add that I was in the 15-16 year range when I first read them, and loved them then, and love them now.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I haven't read the book(s).... My son will be 14 at Christmas.... Is there something "adult" about these books that should concern me? Thanks!
    I truly don't remember. It's been almost 30 years (ah jeez). The first came out in '79 and the sequels during the 80s which is why I didn't read them until high school. You said your son enjoyed the first so probably nothing bothered him about it. You could ask the librarian. At our library it is in the regular section, not YA, but that doesn't really mean much. DS reads book from the regular (non-YA) fiction area as well.

eta: DS is not a big sci-fi fan which is why I said he wouldn't be interested.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

DD1 read the first book this spring in 8th grade, age 14. The teacher choose a couple books and students could self-choose which one they wanted to read. I was surprised, because I perceived it as an older book (for no particular reason except sardonic humor, maybe???). But when I stop and think, I remember reading it at a particular camp, which would have placed me somewhere between 7th and 10th grade, and I remember thinking it was oh-so witty and clever... and then thinking it fell flat when I read later chapters or sequels. I think I concluded it's a book you have to be in the right mood for.

Anyway, my DD1 liked it, maybe for the same reason I did, and I my surprise at her choosing the bike was misplaced.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast