Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Probably finally in menopause! Questions-

I hope this gets seen as it looks like people don't post on here as frequently, but I figured I would try first.

I think I am finally in menopause. Its been over 3 months since I had a period. I had a series of symptoms, issues that I have posted about that all seem resolved. I know I have a full year be sure I can know that I will not get my period again, but it seems likely that I won't.

I am actually thrilled both to be done with my period, and all the figuring out if symptoms were peri/menopause or something worse.

-I still don't have an ob/gyn or even a primary care doctor I feel great about in terms of how to take care of myself (I have tried believe me, and do have a primary care dr, I just havent found her that helpful around things like this), so I have the following questions

--Anyone know the best way to take calcium and how much? I know ideally I would have started earlier, but I did not, in part because I had a kidney stone in the past and was freaked out about adding calcium.

--I think heart attack risk increases with menopause? I have a strong history of heart disease at a young age in my family, so just want to make sure i do everything preventatively that I can. My cholesterol and triglycerides to run high, although with a very good diet I keep them just below needing meds.

--Anything else recommended? I know this is a normal part of a woman's development, and am not trying to pathologize it--just trying to take care of myself!

I do take vitamins B,C,D, and E. I also take 2tbs of flaxseed/day.

Thanks for any help!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I believe that new cardiovascular research recommends against taking calcium supplements, but to just include enough calcium in your diet.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    I believe that new cardiovascular research recommends against taking calcium supplements, but to just include enough calcium in your diet.
    Yes. I was startled a couple of years ago when my primary care doc (who is very much up on the latest evidence) told me to STOP taking calcium supplements. After taking them for so long, it didn't seem right, but she explained that the increased cardio risk was greater than the benefit.

Apparently the new approach to bone health is to make sure to get adequate Vit D. After I broke my wrist, my Vit D levels were checked and were in the "deficient" range. Since then, I've taken lots of Vit D (specific dosages dictated by the follow up lab values) and now I am in the optimal range.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Thanks for the responses! I do take vitamin D and my levels are normal with the extra I take. I had not heard about calcium supplements increasing heart disease risk, so I am off to research that.

Anything else that is important to do or be aware of?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I do know that you should take vitamin K with vitamin d for it to be properly absorbed, I take a liquid D3/K2 vitamin by Buried Treasure. I am 49.5, over the last 18 months I've gone over 100 days without a period, then a random day or two period, about 3 months ago had a 4 day one, so don't throw out those tampons/Diva cup or whatever you use!

I would try to see a gyn to get some baseline bloodwork done, check hormone levels etc.

I see a gyn once per year for my pap, and although I'm pretty sure I can no longer get pregnant and am sexually active, I am frustrated that it's harder to tell if I might be ovulating (I used to be able to tell exactly when I ovulated).

I'd still continue with annual gyn visits and mammograms.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I do know that you should take vitamin K with vitamin d for it to be properly absorbed, I take a liquid D3/K2 vitamin by Buried Treasure. I am 49.5, over the last 18 months I've gone over 100 days without a period, then a random day or two period, about 3 months ago had a 4 day one, so don't throw out those tampons/Diva cup or whatever you use!

Wow, you and I are on a very similar timeline--and I think I remember that being the case a couple of years ago. Mine has been gone for shorter times before, but this is the longest. I sure hope I am done, but I agree I am not throwing out anything I might need!

I did have bloodwork done a while ago and was told I was done when I was not...so not really interested in having more of those tests.

Hmmn, that is interesting about Vit K with Vit D. I had low Vit D several years ago and it became normal when I added supplements...I didn't add Vit K. I do take the Vitamin D with my dinner as well as Vitamins B, C, and E. I wonder if my food has vit K in it?

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Wow, you and I are on a very similar timeline--and I think I remember that being the case a couple of years ago. Mine has been gone for shorter times before, but this is the longest. I sure hope I am done, but I agree I am not throwing out anything I might need!

I did have bloodwork done a while ago and was told I was done when I was not...so not really interested in having more of those tests.

Hmmn, that is interesting about Vit K with Vit D. I had low Vit D several years ago and it became normal when I added supplements...I didn't add Vit K. I do take the Vitamin D with my dinner as well as Vitamins B, C, and E. I wonder if my food has vit K in it?
    Vitamin K is in green leafy veggies. Plenty of other foods as well, but that is where it is concentrated.
    mom to Billy 12/07

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, you should take vitamin K2 and D3 together. The D3 is vital and the K2 helps ensure D3 won't cause calcium to be deposited in your arteries. I take 5000 iU vitamin D3 a day and 100 mcg K2 MK-7. I actually take this one: https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Inno...rds=vitamin+k2 which also has K2 MK-4. But the K2 MK-7 is more important (read the reviews for more info). Note that the food sources like spinach usually listed as rich in vitamin K are usually for K1, which is not the same at all. You don't need extra K1 as your body recycles it. A good dietary source of K2 is grass-fed butter. Here is some more info: https://chriskresser.com/vitamin-k2-...sing-nutrient/

Foods high in vitamin K2

• Natto
    • Hard cheese
    • Soft cheese
    • Egg yolk
    • Butter
    • Chicken liver
    • Salami
    • Chicken breast
    • Ground beef

Also a low carbohydrate diet, not a low fat diet, is helpful to prevent heart disease. Recommended reading: The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz. I would ditch the vitamin E and flaxseed. Research hasn't borne out any benefits of vitamin E and flaxseed has estrogenic properties which you don't want unopposed in your post-menopausal body.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 11-11-2016 at 11:08 AM.

No flaxseed? Wow, I really need flaxseed for other reasons as well!

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Um, I hate to say it, but....I went almost a full year w/out a period or ovulating. Thought for sure I was done. Nope! Started ovulating and having periods close together. My doctor said it often happens that way as you approach the end of perimenopause. I'm back to not ovulating but have been having periods.

Ditto to the no calcium supplements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast