Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Lady Acne

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Old Lady Acne

Anyone else having this problem?

About a year ago my chin started breaking out. I've since gone to the dermatologist and have prescriptions for Retin-A and some kind of topical antibiotic. The derm said that the kind of acne I have is hormonal and that makes sense. I didn't want to do anything hormonal though. As I told him, I'd rather have zits than upset mood. Still, it isn't completely going away. I have a new eruption every couple of weeks or so even though I am vigilantly following my prescribed regimen.

I feel like the acne is coming from inside. The Retin-A doesn't seem to going deep enough. Is there anything I can use BESIDES using hormones?

TIA,

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I find that I rest my chin in my hands, which exacerbates breakouts. Do you do anything like that?

Other than that, I find switching up my facial cleanser is helpful. The clear Trader Joe's one in the pump bottle (I forget what its exact name is, sorry!) seems to help keep everything under control.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The other med I have been prescribed for the same issue is blood pressure medicine - spironolactone. Yep. At a lower dose to start, but when there were no real results the derm wanted to try a dose that would affect my blood pressure - and mine is already low.

That med is just as bad as hormones, in its own way - you have to wean on and off of it, as it can cause issues with headaches, etc if you don't. You can't forget it on a weekend vacation, etc. And it is a diuretic, so you have to pee a lot and stay well hydrated to keep your blood pressure up.

I'm trying OTC stuff and living with it. Paula's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I find that I rest my chin in my hands, which exacerbates breakouts. Do you do anything like that?

Other than that, I find switching up my facial cleanser is helpful. The clear Trader Joe's one in the pump bottle (I forget what its exact name is, sorry!) seems to help keep everything under control.
    I probably do. I feel like TOPICALLY, I'm on it. Once the blemish pokes through my products attack it and keep it at bay. I feel like it is the stuff happening below the skin is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    The other med I have been prescribed for the same issue is blood pressure medicine - spironolactone. Yep. At a lower dose to start, but when there were no real results the derm wanted to try a dose that would affect my blood pressure - and mine is already low.

That med is just as bad as hormones, in its own way - you have to wean on and off of it, as it can cause issues with headaches, etc if you don't. You can't forget it on a weekend vacation, etc. And it is a diuretic, so you have to pee a lot and stay well hydrated to keep your blood pressure up.

I'm trying OTC stuff and living with it. Paula's choice.
    OK. I think my SIL was on that stuff. That sounds problematic. Sigh. I think I'd rather have zits.

What about diet? Or supplements? Or something else?

I feel like it something not balanced inside.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The other things I would try, if I valued clear skin more, would be cutting sugar, dairy and/or wheat. Those things can trigger skin issues for many people. I love food too much to do that.

If you have a special event that you really want to clear a bad cyst for, I used to get steroid injections, which clear them in a day or two at most.

ETA - I feel for you. It sucks to have bad skin, at any age. I have never had what I think of as "good" skin. Just better or worse. Have they talked at all about lasers? I don't have the money for it, but if you do, might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 11-14-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    The other things I would try, if I valued clear skin more, would be cutting sugar, dairy and/or wheat. Those things can trigger skin issues for many people. I love food too much to do that.

If you have a special event that you really want to clear a bad cyst for, I used to get steroid injections, which clear them in a day or two at most.

ETA - I feel for you. It sucks to have bad skin, at any age. I have never had what I think of as "good" skin. Just better or worse. Have they talked at all about lasers? I don't have the money for it, but if you do, might be worth looking into.
    Thanks. I think dairy does have an affect and I could probably stand to go without sugar too!

Thankfully my skin clears up quickly. I think that's what the Retin-A and topical antibiotic does. The breakouts happen often but they clean up more quickly. I don't have a lot of cash for lasers but I might keep that option in the back of my mind!

ask your derm about aczone. it is a topical that was initally developed for adult female acne (hormonal) without messing with hormones/systemic side effects.

also, How long have you been on the topicals. It takes at least 6-8 weeks to start seeing an improvement, but more likely 12 weeks for a significant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    ask your derm about aczone. it is a topical that was initally developed for adult female acne (hormonal) without messing with hormones/systemic side effects.

also, How long have you been on the topicals. It takes at least 6-8 weeks to start seeing an improvement, but more likely 12 weeks for a significant improvement.
    I'll ask about that! It has been more like six months. During the summer I was a little inconsistent with using retin-A but I've been using it very strictly for over 3 months now and I'm still getting new breakouts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast