JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Would this be a true statement according to FAPE or anything else?

Does anyone know if this would be a true statement if I said it to my daughter's case manager/special education teacher/language arts support teacher, "You are responsible for making sure she receives help working on the reading comprehension goal that is in her IEP even if it is not what you are working on in your class"? My daughter is at an intensive level as far as special education goes..I am guessing its called different things different cases, but this teacher is the case manager for the kids at this level, there are probably about 20 of them, and she has aides at her dispoal.

If not, what would you recommend in this situation? My daughter has an IEP goal to improve her reading comprehension of larger texts. In class, the students are read to or take turns reading aloud. It is not addressing my daughter's goal as she is not being asked to read for longer periods of time. There is no homework or anything else that requires this. When I ask the teacher about my daughter's goals and other issues this teacher simply tells me what she is doing in her class. It seems to me she should be responsible for individualizing enough to work on goals. Please don't flame me if I am seeming unreasonable...this is really something my daughter needs to work on and all the details are hard to lay out in a (hopefully) short post. Also, this is only one of many things that are not happening and the principal has all but told me there are issues with this teacher, so to be honest I am not sure anything I do will help..but I can at least try and have a record of what has not happened for my daughter. Thanks for any help!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm a classroom teacher. For my students that have goals unrelated to what we are doing in class the resource teacher pulls them out and works with them in a small group or individually. For my students with IEPs I'm responsible for some things like preferential seating, shortened assignments, things like that. But if their goals are not what the curriculum currently is (and it often is since they may be behind grade level) then the resource teacher has to work on those goals. We provide differentiation in smaller groups, but that is related to whatever skills we are currently working on. I am not responsible for doing separate curriculum to meet a student's IEPs goals. I'm aware of their goals and how it may affect their performance in class, but not responsible for them.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks. So to clarify this would be the equivalent of a resource teacher, not a gen ed classroom teacher. She does do her "resource work" in the form of classes, but one "class" has 5 students the teacher and an aide the other class has less than 10 students, the teacher, and 5 aides. Any suggestions on what wording to use if the goals are not being worked on?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The whole point of the plan and goals is to work on them. Minutes are assigned for each goal and if that isn't happening in our state it is against the law. You need to advocate for you daughter and find out who is going to be working on the goal. If you get no where with the principal meet with the principal and special education director. I know it is hard as you want to keep the peace but I never care as my child needs come first. I am a teacher and I do speak up when necessary. I am always nice about it but they know if they aren't doing something I will question it.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks. So to clarify this would be the equivalent of a resource teacher, not a gen ed classroom teacher. She does do her "resource work" in the form of classes, but one "class" has 5 students the teacher and an aide the other class has less than 10 students, the teacher, and 5 aides. Any suggestions on what wording to use if the goals are not being worked on?
    I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to her regular teacher. If this teacher is the equivalent of a resource teacher, then yes, she should be working on the goals with your daughter. I would definitely ask her about how she plans to meet the goals.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Would this be a true statement according to FAPE or anything else?

If it's the resource teacher, they should be working on goals. It can be difficult in a small group if everyone has different goals, so you need to think out who you group together and what activities you do to target their goals. If I can't have 1 activity, then I have separate activities. There are some sessions where I work on pre-skills that are needed before can work on for the goal.

Yes complain if they're not working on her INDIVIDUAL goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains