Thread: Ozobot anyone?

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Ozobot anyone?

I don't know anything about Ozobot really, but my kids are getting them for Christmas. I'll look it up, but figured I'd see what people here thought and if you have any tips on using them. Anything we need to have on hand to make them fun?
    Kris

We do not have an ozobot but played with one at a maker faire a couple of years ago. Does your kit come with the markers? If not I would get markers (IIRC, the colors it recognizes are red, green, blue and black) and a ream of paper. My kids used quite a few papers drawing different patterns and codes during the demo.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS has been using them in school. I'll ask him. I do know that the markers work better when they're thick and that you can also program it with some tablets and laptops.

Thank you both.

What ages do you think it's best for? I'm a little worried some of my kids are already too old. But, maybe not.

I will check on the markers and we always have reams of paper .
    Kris

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Thank you both.

What ages do you think it's best for? I'm a little worried some of my kids are already too old. But, maybe not.

I will check on the markers and we always have reams of paper .
    DS1 is getting one (he asked for it). He's in 4th and they use them in Investigations class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    DS1 is getting one (he asked for it). He's in 4th and they use them in Investigations class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. DS2 is in 3rd and I think he will enjoy it. DS1 is 12 and in 7th. He programs in Java for robotics, so this might be too young. They are gifts from their aunt and I just got the heads up email.
    Kris

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Thanks. DS2 is in 3rd and I think he will enjoy it. DS1 is 12 and in 7th. He programs in Java for robotics, so this might be too young. They are gifts from their aunt and I just got the heads up email.
    I second or third the rec for rolls of paper (B&N used the back sides of wrapping paper rolls) and thick-line markers. They recognize THICK lines better than SKINNY lines for sure!

I have some (very minor) programming skills and I want one for ME. DD and I played with them at the B&N Mini Maker Fair last year and this year.

I think your 7th grader might enjoy it a lot more than you think.

ETA: If he's already programming, he might think of new and cool ways to manipulate it, too.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle