Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another Expedit/Kallax bin question, Sterlite

I don't have my playroom furniture yet. I'm not 100% on the design of the room, but I know I'm going to do a bunch of kallax units for storage, and I want to get the bins NOW and start organizing everything, because the open bins I have are driving me nuts! I don't live anywhere near a Container Store, so I'm looking at Sterlite containers. I currently own two types, though with different color handles than are currently available. I'd like the bins in the kallax to match by size if not by color. Do any of you have either of these bins, and which would you recommend I stock up on?

1. Sterlite 12.7 quart modular latch box (15 x 11.5 x 6)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...achet/49533212

2. Sterlite 15 quart latch box (16.5 x 13 x 6.63)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...of-10/44785957

Both come in a double/tall size, and I'll be getting that size, too. With the first option, I'm concerned they will look too small and will waste too much space. With the second option, I'm concerned they are too big and will stick out too far over the edge of the kallax and look terrible! But I seem to remember in one of those great earlier expedit threads that somebody had these, and they didn't look too large. What would you do? And if you use either of these and have a picture, I'd be soooo grateful if you'd share!
    Last edited by 123LuckyMom; 12-12-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: edited for incorrect links

I'm bumping hoping for advice. I'm going to ask for the bins for Christmas, so time is of the essence.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have you really got your heart set on the bins having lids?

If not, the Threshold bins from Target are the right size; the Threshold units are the most similar to KALLAX. (I have a Threshold 1x2 unit in my living room.)

In addition, the Threshold bins have been on and off sale/Cartwheel for the past couple weeks, so you might be able to score a decent price.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I believe these are the same containers I have but from several years ago. I like that they have lids but often the lids are stored beneath that cubby. My kids aren't taking lids off and on to get to their toys because they would never put lids back on. As far as filling up the space, I was concerned about unused space also so I got mix of sizes and store some of smaller ones on top of each other (for those I do use lid. These hold things they aren't getting into daily.) The double size tubs have big things like Duplos and train tracks. Trains are in separate not as deep container. I drove myself nuts trying to maximize space etc but found the bigger the cubby the more stuff i.e. junk it seemed to accumulate. I like the more vertical organization of the everything bins from container Store. We have transitioned to those. They are easy for kids to carry to where they are playing and no lids to mess with. They usually go on sale in Jan. I'm sure this board and others will post when they go on sale as they are super popular for lots of applications. Hope this helps!

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

In our Expedit, we use the Sterilite 15 qt you linked to (2 in each cube) and the 27 qt (1 in each) and I think they use the space pretty well

IMG_7978-1.jpg
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

Quote Originally Posted by Minnifer View Post
    In our Expedit, we use the Sterilite 15 qt you linked to (2 in each cube) and the 27 qt (1 in each) and I think they use the space pretty well

IMG_7978-1.jpg
    The picture is really helpful! It doesn't look like the bins stick out beyond the edge of the shelf. Is that so? That's my big worry, that it will bother me if the bins are sticking out.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Pretty much nothing that size is going to stick out bc the expedit/kallax is so deep! And I would really consider the vertical storage/access provided by the container store multipurpose bins over something where the top whole bin has to come down before the other bin can come down, as all your floor space will be consumed by big bins on the floor. We had some like that but found the MPBins so much more useful for playing/cleaning up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    The picture is really helpful! It doesn't look like the bins stick out beyond the edge of the shelf. Is that so? That's my big worry, that it will bother me if the bins are sticking out
    Correct, they do not stick out at all. Glad it was helpful! :-)
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Pretty much nothing that size is going to stick out bc the expedit/kallax is so deep! And I would really consider the vertical storage/access provided by the container store multipurpose bins over something where the top whole bin has to come down before the other bin can come down, as all your floor space will be consumed by big bins on the floor. We had some like that but found the MPBins so much more useful for playing/cleaning up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought the kallax was only 15" deep. Maybe I need to check that again.

I can picture using the multipurpose bins for things like coloring books, construction paper, and the like, but do you use these for things like little toys? Our bins are for seemingly billions of action figures, cars/vehicles, little animal figures, that kind of thing. We have animals sorted into three covered stacking bins, for example: farm animals, wild animals, mythical animals/dinosaurs/bugs. Those are three 12.5qt bins, and they're full! AND all those animals get play! I absolutely see the wisdom of storing things next to rather than on top of each other, but I just can't picture those bins fitting little toys. What do you store in yours, and do you have pictures?

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a kalyx for toy storage. We use the baskets Ikea sells. I love not having to look at toys and plastic boxes. But, if I were looking at smaller containers, I would definitely vote for the vertical style container store bins over stacked flat plastic bins.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast