Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Help me find book/series to engage 9 yo DD

DD is a good reader, and enjoys it, but it is never an activity of choice. The problem is that she can never find books that interest her. I would love to encourage her, and get her "hooked" on a good series. She can read at a 6th grade level, but her interests are younger than that (if that makes sense). She is sensitive/timid, so nothing too intense/dramatic. Harry Potter is a no go- absolutely no interest. Her all-time favorite book is "Wonder", and she has read that multiple times. She also likes Dork Diaries, but many of those are below her level and I want to expand her horizons. Suggestions?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help me find book/series to engage 9 yo DD

Percy JAckson. There are so many that she could be reading for a good while. We love them around here. I really like Artemis Fowl too. Shadow Children are popular with our librarian and ds1.
    I also super loved Babysitters Club at that age and you can still find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Has she read little house on the prairie books?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My daughter loves The Who Was/Who Is? Books, and she doesn't like to be told she has to read, but it is required for school and those books helped her out a bunch last year, and have still come in handy this year. Some of the Geronimo Stilton mysteries are quite complicated as well (so don't dismiss the childish covers or cartoon like illustrations throughout). We have read about 1/3rd of Harry Potter aloud, but other than watching the first movie she has little interest in finishing the series....I figure that will come eventually. It took her a good month to read but DD1 loved Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. I started reading Anne of Green Gables at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Percy JAckson. There are so many that she could be reading for a good while. We love them around here. I really like Artemis Fowl too. Shadow Children are popular with our librarian and ds1.
    I also super loved Babysitters Club at that age and you can still find them.

Where can you find the originals? My DD1 loves the graphic novels, but I want to find the originals. I had the first 50 or so when I was 11-14, but we long passed them on to a cousin. I looked them up at the local library and couldn't find them.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 12-18-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Where can you find the originals? My DD1 loves the graphic novels, but I want to find the originals. I had the first 50 or so when I was 11-14, but we long passed them on to a cousin. I looked them up at the local library and couldn't find them.
    We bought the majority of ours at Goodwill, and have never had a problem finding them there (or Value Village, Savers, Salvation Army, St. Vinnies, whatever you have nearby!). We also stock up at our local "Friends of the Library" sales (where discarded, as well as many donated books are sold). Bonus points--they are usually under $1 at all these places, and many have a "buy x number, get y number free" deals. Just make sure to keep a running list on your phone so you aren't stuck trying to remember if DD has read "Jessi's Secret Language" or if you are remembering it from your own reading

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Land of stories
    Andrew clements
    My DD (10) hardly picks anything with the color black on the cover, so same interest-type as yours. Finding sweet/fun/engaging without much grim stuff in it is hard!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Princess Academy trilogy by Shannon Hale is great.
    Smile/Sisters by Reina Telgemeier
    Anne of Green Gables
    Betsey Tacy
    The Protector of the Small quartet by Tamora Pierce (though these deal with war and some dark magic)
    Warriors series (there are a frillion of these, all about cats. My 11 yo loves them and has for a few years)
    Anything by E.D. Baker (she has several series)
    Anything by Gail Carson Levine
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My 7 yo (6th grade reading and comprehension level) likes to read the disney fairies books (ie. ..Never land), nancy drew, little house on the prairie, american girl, whatever after.

Granted she can read at a higher level than these, but she loves them and reads most of them in less than an hour and than goes on to another book.

I'm going to be looking into the other books mentioned here for my dd now...

The Mysterious Benedict Society series kept us all engaged at age 8-9, but we did it as a read aloud.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Older books but some of my favorites are the Noel Streatfield books (ballet shoes, etc) and the Edgar eager half magic series and the borrowers books

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast