Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    We bought the majority of ours at Goodwill, and have never had a problem finding them there (or Value Village, Savers, Salvation Army, St. Vinnies, whatever you have nearby!). We also stock up at our local "Friends of the Library" sales (where discarded, as well as many donated books are sold). Bonus points--they are usually under $1 at all these places, and many have a "buy x number, get y number free" deals. Just make sure to keep a running list on your phone so you aren't stuck trying to remember if DD has read "Jessi's Secret Language" or if you are remembering it from your own reading
    Thanks! Our library has a great book sale, but their kids selection in the past hadn't been great, but good idea about thrift store shopping (I should be more excited about it but I just don't).
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD2 seems very similar to your DD in age,reading level, and interests. We have just read all the Land of Stories books. We would read together but she would also read on her own. We also love the Whatever After series. No interest in Harry Potter. She just started the Sew Zoey books. So far so good on that series. She also is reading the first Narnia book for battle of the book she just joined.

The Land of Stories books are awesome!! Those are what finally got my DD into reading. They are long though, and she may have actually been a bit closer to 10. She was in 4th grade a the time, and it was midway through the school year that she got into them.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the great ideas. The princess ones, and the fractured fairy tale type books will appeal to her (I think). I might read them, too, lol.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What about the series called Goddess Girls? My daughter LOVED these books!

http://www.simonandschuster.com/series/Goddess-Girls
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am a librarian and just wanted to chime in that I wouldn't worry about level as much as interest. Keep em reading no matter what it is. My son was a high reader and read what interested him. Now in 7th grade he picks out his own books as I have no clue he has read so much. Go to the library when you can and let her pick.

My DD is a bit younger but is also sensitive and can't read things that are too scary, dramatic, etc. Her favorite series is the Boxcar Children. It took her months to read them all (~160 books) which kept me happy to not have to find new material constantly.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is like that (although just recently got into Harry Potter but she resisted for a long while). She likes:

Cupcake diaries
    Just Grace series
    Julia Gillian series
    books by Grace Lin
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Your daughter sounds similar to mine. She is loving the Sew Zoey series right now. She also likes The Tapper Twins. There are now 4 in that series. They are written by a screenwriter who wrote the Disney Good Luck Charlie, Christmas Special so he's very comfortable writing "light" stories.
    Her class is reading "The Mysterious Benedict Society" together. She likes it, however that one does scare her a bit, so be careful with that one.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    dd1 3/09
    dd2 9/11

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Warriors series. All three DC are/were hooked on this series. Tons of books and collections in this series. The first collection is the "The Prophecies Begin" with Book #1 being "Into the Woods". This is the official website and it definitely helps with purchasing/borrowing the series in order: http://warriorcats.com/ My kids started reading the series not knowing that they borrowed Book #1 of a collection that was further along in the series.
    Last edited by SASM; 12-19-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast