melwe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Any fun birthday ideas for DD who turns 10 on Friday?

DD turns 10 on Friday!! It's hard to believe- time sneaks up so quickly.

My DH and I both work in service oriented jobs, and we both work long hours on her birthday. Because of Christmas being on Sunday, we only have off Saturday evening and Sunday which will be devoted to Christmas activities with family, and then it will be back to work Monday. I try really hard to separate her birthday from Christmas celebrations, but it is really hard some years.

Anyway her birthday is the 23rd, this Friday. I'm feeling really sad because we don't have a lot of extra time off from work this year. Normally we will celebrate her birthday with presents, cake, and dinner of her choice that I usually make. This year that will not happen.

We will probably go out to eat for a late dinner, but I want to make her day feel a little special since she turns 10 and has finally realized that Christmas and birthdays next to each other are not that great.

So any great ideas or traditions that you use for your kids to make them feel special on their birthday? I was thinking of some helium balloons and I saw a poster that someone made "10 great things about you." but any other ideas would be great!
    Melanie

DD 12/06
    DS 9/2011

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We fill the floor of their bedroom with balloons the night before, so they wake up in a room full of balloons on their birthday.

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We decorate their door with streamers and things to wake up to. Special bday breakfast, something special in their lunch.

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Let her pick the restaurant where you go for dinner. Tell the staff it's her birthday so they'll do their birthday thing.

We usually have pancakes with chocolate chips and whipped cream and sprinkles with a candle for breakfast, but sometimes mornings are too hectic for that. Something easy might be those canned cinnamon rolls - my kids LOVE those and think they're the best. Or pick up some special muffins or pastries for breakfast the day before, so that it's out of the ordinary.
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another idea - what about 10 clues throughout the day (envelopes to open on the hour?) about something special coming that night? Maybe an uncharacteristically late movie after dinner? A gift? Arcade trip? Something...

I put 10 balloons in Dds room when she was asleep
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I decorate bedroom doors with balloons and streamers after they go to sleep. I also put balloons corresponding to their age in their rooms with pictures of them at younger ages for them to find when they wake up.

We buy a pretty (but inexpensive) bouquet of flowers or flowering plant at Trader Joes and I put it on her nightstand while she is sleeping along with a special birthday letter that I write reflecting on who she is and ways that she has grown/achievements over the past year as well as hopes for the year ahead. We usually make a special breakfast of the child's choosing. Note in the lunchbox along with (maybe) a special small treat or a special lunch (think a package of $6 grocery store sushi). Maybe leave her a little tiara in the morning that she can wear throughout the day to attract special birthday recognition/attention.
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010