MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Way TMI-- what to do about increased odor?

Not really sure how to ask this, but from around the time I turned 40 and started having perimenopausal symptoms, I have also noticed that I seem to have a much stronger odor downtown. I have never been one to shave or wax fully, so may that is the issue? I have no discharge, and got a clean bill of health from the GYN. I do not think I have an infection. It has been going on now for almost a year. It is not really a foul odor, just much stronger than what I am used to. I assume it has to do with hormonal changes.

I am not sure what do to about it, but it is affecting my confidence in the bedroom- DH has not said anything or complained yet. Sometimes, I would rather not DTD because of it, though. I feel like I need to shower right before we DTD.

Suggestions on products for washing? Mostly, I just use Dove because it is very gentle on delicate skin there and affordable.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No suggestions for products or anything (I use coconut Pre de Provence bar soap that was recommended here), but how about just showering every night before bed? That's what I do.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm of the opinion that trimming (not shaving or waxing) pubic hair keeps things fresher.
    DS 2/09

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ar you sure it isn't pee?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Are you positive you don't have a mild vaginosis? You can have an imbalance without discharge. There are probiotics that help stabilize bacterial colonies down there. Personally, I'd avoid washing too often or vigorously with scented soaps and the like. I think those can throw off your system and cause more problems.

If you want to look for probiotics, those most often recommended are Lactobacillus acidophilus (best used as a cream or suppository), Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 (works orally), and Lactobacillus fermentum RC-14. You could try taking Fem-Dophilus or RePHresh. I've heard those can work well. Also, wear cotton undies and give yourself some air.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had this same problem. I had been using Dove, but then I switched to something I felt was gentler - Cetaphil. It was much improved, but I knew it good get better. Over the years, I had read that you really didn't need to use soap, just water. I thought that was unrealistic. But then I started thinking that with soap, I was washing away all of the bacteria and oils - good ones and bad ones. And if the good ones were gone, this was allowing the bad ones to be dominant. So I switched to water and a washcloth. The odor was gone. And stays gone all day. Amazing!
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! This is such a hard topic for me to ask about in a more public way.

I do already trim some, but might try trimming a little shorter, even as I am not inclined toward a complete shave.
    I will look into some of the ideas for probiotics and or the repHresh (I think I can buy that locally easily).

I may try the idea of just water for a while. I bought a wash marketed for that area that is supposed to be proper pH, but I have not tried it yet. I may test out the wash vs plain water and see what is better.

As for the question about pee-- I guess I am not really sure. I have never thought that I leak, but it is possible, esp during exercise (I sweat a lot, so it would be hard to tell). But, I shower after exercise, so I would think that would take care of it. Yet, it would not hurt to amp up the squats and kegels!

I tend to think that it is somehow hormonal, as I also think that my pit BO is worse than ever, too, but who knows?

I regularly shower in the am, as I have some night sweating (ah, the perimenopause!) I'd really prefer to find a way to avoid showering more than once a day.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll let you know what works.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been thinking about this thread a lot lately, I'm SO glad you asked this question, and so glad we have a great place like this for this stuff!

If it were me, in addition to all the great recommendations you've recieved, I'd ask DH. My DH and I have that kind of relationship (plus he's, ahem, closer to it than I am), so YMMV. I don't know about the rest of you, but my sense of smell when I'm PMS'ing is through the roof and I wonder if the same could be said for the change? Dunno, but when I've mentioned an odor to DH when PMSing in the past he looks at me like I'm nuts and says something about my wolf sense kicking in.

Please keep us posted, handy knowledge for us all! Thank you!!!!