Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Which resort? AKL or Boardwalk?

We're planning a last minute trip to WDW next month. Our choices for resorts are Animal Kingdom or Boardwalk. We've only stayed at Coronado Springs and the Contemporary. (We loved the monorail at the Contemporary!) Would love to hear your thoughts! Please and thank you!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

Default Which resort? AKL or Boardwalk?

We love the Boardwalk! It's great being able to walk (~5 minutes) in the International Gateway to Epcot (enters right between France and the U.K.), no waiting in lines to get on a bus/monorail/boat after Illuminations! An easy 20-25 minute walk over to Hollywood Studios or you can hop on one of the Friendship boats which takes about the same time after stopping at Beach Club and Swan/Dolphin.
    We love grabbing a quick breakfast or snack at the Boardwalk Bakery or Goofy's candy shop.
    When the boys were younger and still napped, DH or I would head back to Epcot for a quick ride or two or to grab a snack in France while the other stays with the napping kids.
    If you ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor facing France (Boardwalk Inn side) you will have a great view of the fireworks from your room!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456781560.176151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm going to vote Boardwalk just for its proximity to other stuff. AKL is so far away from everything.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    I'm going to vote Boardwalk just for its proximity to other stuff. AKL is so far away from everything.
    I will give you a third vote for Boardwalk. We loved our stay on the DVC side a couple years ago. AKL sounds wonderful as well, but it really does seem far away from the parks.
    mom to Billy 12/07

We stayed at AKL for our first two trips, and it is an absolutely gorgeous resort. Having the animals RIGHT THERE is awesome. The only issue we had was having to take buses everywhere. There wasn't anything wrong with the bus service--it was great--but hauling sleeping kids and the double stroller off the bus every.single.night was enough of a pain that we started staying at our home resort of BLT once we had our third kid. Now that they're older, I think we'd do fine at AKL again.

Having said all that, I really really want to stay at Boardwalk before too long. It is just beautiful back in that area. We took an Epcot fireworks boat ride and fell in love with that part of the World. I would love to walk to Epcot in the evenings to walk around the world showcase.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

I'd vote BW. We've stayed there, and it is very convenient having two parks in walking distance, and it's not far from DTD. AKL is cool with the animals, it's pretty, and has great restaurants, but it is very far away from everything. So, for convenience, BW, for resort coolness, AKL.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My friends did a "resort only" vacation at AKL last summer. They did all the free kid activities, and it kept them busy enough they stayed on the resort property for days at a time and loved it. Is it the same price at The Boardwalk? usually it's very pricey.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Will you have a car? Are you a "parks morning to night" person, or do you like to spend time at your resort?

If you'll have a car and some time to spend at the resort, then I'd recommend AKL, and in particular a safari view room (if it's feasible). It's just an amazing resort. There are a ton of activities all day long and it is so amazingly cool to walk out onto your balcony and see a ton of animals. The counter service restaurant has a better menu than I've seen at any other resort (and I've stayed at many of them), and Boma is really great too. Aside from the distance, the only other downside is that the rooms are kind of small and cramped (for our family of 5). To be honest, AKL was the one resort I never had any interest in visiting, but we ended up booking it for our own last minute trip in January 2014 and it ranks in my memory as my very favorite WDW trip.

That said, the Epcot resort area is nice. It's really great to be able to walk to the parks.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We stayed at Boardwalk and it was really nice to be able to walk to Epcot. When we visited another park during the day, we would go back to our hotel for awhile and then go back out to Epcot for dinner and evening activities. Very convenient location.

Will you have a car with you? If yes, you MUST stay at AKL with a savanna view room. It's our favorite place to stay hands down.

If not, the Boardwalk might be more convenient, travel-wise. I actually really don't like the Boardwalk, though. The corridors make me feel claustrophobic.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast