Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We have a small dog (13 lbs) and the vet expressly warned against leaving him outside unattended. Please do not adopt another dog if you can't provide a home inside. Small dogs typically adore their humans and are not happy to be separated from them.
    Green Tea, mom to three

This is what we feed our small dog: Merrick Grain Free Real Lamb + Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food, 4-Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMQ5NUY..._.oKMyb8NQ9TXR

Smaller breeds are notoriously picky eaters so expect some trial and error. They also are more likely to graze throughout the day (another reason why keeping the dog outside is problematic.)
    Green Tea, mom to three

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    We have a small dog (13 lbs) and the vet expressly warned against leaving him outside unattended. Please do not adopt another dog if you can't provide a home inside. Small dogs typically adore their humans and are not happy to be separated from them.
    I have never known a shelter or rescue group to allow a dog to be adopted to an outdoor home. Agreeing to an inside home is usually part of the contract. Too many things can happen if dog is left outside all day- excessive barking, theft, injury from other animals, developing separation anxiety, escaping the yard. I would plan to crate him/her when you are not home until the dog adjusts then make sure dog has access to an inside area when you are not home.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    This was off my radar until we brought home a small dog and the vet warned us about it at the first visit. The vet warned us that dogs are usually killed by the fall, not the an attack of a hawk. The bird picks up because it’s interesting looking starts to fly off then drops the dog. All the ones she saw/tried to save were usually found in a neighbor’s yard b/c the dog was dropped fairly soon after the grab. She felt after 10-12 lbs, the threat was a lot less for the birds in our area.
    Thank you both for this. I didn't even think about the bird issue. DH and I have never had a dog that weighs less than 30 lbs so this is all new to us and we hope it goes well; we weren't finding a larger dog we absolutely loved at the shelter and DH is very pro adopting from the shelter and we were really attached to this dog from the start of our visit. We hope that our prior experience (DH has been responsible for a dog on his own for the last 20 yrs., and me for the last 10) serves us as well with this new adventure.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just to clarify, I wasn't concerned about weather/extreme temps. It's a socialization issue. A dog is part of the family and should be in the home with you. Get a crate so that the dog can be secured without being destructive.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

OMG yes, I hadn't realized the plan was for him to be outdoors while you are at work! I agree, he should be inside and you could have a dogwalker or if the doggy door works and he isn't able to escape or dig out, he could use that to go to the bathroom and back in. I telecommute so my dog has constant companionship but he would bark his head off if left outside all day. (We had no idea he was a barker until after we'd had him 6 months.) Rain, heat, other animals, barking, digging, escaping - too many reasons that he shouldn't be outdoors while you're away.

Also realize that until he is very securely in your home, rescues can frequently be at risk of trying to escape or being disoriented. It takes a while before they can be really secure in your home and with your family.
    Last edited by citymama; 02-07-2017 at 07:38 PM.

for Sandy Hook

This is what we feed our small dog: Merrick Grain Free Real Lamb + Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food, 4-Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMQ5NUY..._.oKMyb8NQ9TXR

Smaller breeds are notoriously picky eaters so expect some trial and error. They also are more likely to graze throughout the day (another reason why keeping the dog outside is problematic.)
    I won't say that Merrick isn't a good food, but i just want to point out that Merrick owns a rendering plant and was recently bought out by Nestle-Purina. They say that they don't use rendered products in their food.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I won't say that Merrick isn't a good food, but i just want to point out that Merrick owns a rendering plant and was recently bought out by Nestle-Purina. They say that they don't use rendered products in their food.
    Thanks for the info. This particular line currently gets five stars on dogfoodadvisor.com, but I'll keep an eye on it.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    OMG yes, I hadn't realized the plan was for him to be outdoors while you are at work! I agree, he should be inside and you could have a dogwalker or if the doggy door works and he isn't able to escape or dig out, he could use that to go to the bathroom and back in. I telecommute so my dog has constant companionship but he would bark his head off if left outside all day. (We had no idea he was a barker until after we'd had him 6 months.) Rain, heat, other animals, barking, digging, escaping - too many reasons that he shouldn't be outdoors while you're away.

Also realize that until he is very securely in your home, rescues can frequently be at risk of trying to escape or being disoriented. It takes a while before they can be really secure in your home and with your family.
    DH has the idea that dogs are okay outside all of the time (although he has always let the dogs in the house, just not when we were gone all day), and neither of the dogs he has cared for in the last 20 yrs (2 labs) were big barkers; but like I said prior he has never had a small dog and I am sure his ideas will continue to change and he already has said for the time being the crate is fine, and we will later expand to the kitchen once the dog has settled into things. We have a dog walker that used to come for occasional daily walks for our old dog as well so we know we can call her as well. DH has also interviewed for a job 4 miles from our house so he could easily come home for lunch if he gets it (fingers crossed!).

The two dogs I had growing up (1st lived until I was 11, we got her when I was 1, and the second one lived from the time I was 12 until I was 26) and then our last dog were all shelter dogs so I am pretty familiar with dogs needing to be used to their surroundings. I think DH had two shelter dogs going up as well.

Oh and the dogs can't leave the county animal shelter without their current shots including rabies so we know we will be goood there but will also get him into to see our vet soon as well.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-07-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

So this is the little guy (18 mos. old) we adopted. The girls named him Kyle after the dog from Despicable Me because we aren't sure exactly what he is (part chihuahua/doxen/terrier?). Today's major accomplishments he stayed in his crate all day and didn't have an accident in it, he figured out the dog door, and brought me his leash as soon as I let him out of his crate. I am going to go to the pet store and buy him some different food because he didn't eat the Science Diet, a dog bed, and a kong toy and some treats to stick in the kong for his crate (today he did well with just a tennis ball). We have the crate in the living room and he seems to be doing okay there. Dd1 also took him on a walk around our block before school this AM and it went well she said. Also DH is fine with crate training him for a long while before leaving him alone in the house. I was so relieved he changed his mind when we discussed this last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-08-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast