Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Full disclosure, I am not knowledgeable about stimulant ADHD meds. DD is on the lowest dose of Intuniv (a non-stimulate, so a totally different type of medicine) and I have no plans to to increase her dose unless the current on stops helping. I would find out why the doc wants to increase the dose when the current dose is working.
    I just looked up Intuniv and the possible side effects of low BP and heart arrhythmia are too risky for DD with her heart condition.

She isn't prone to arrhythmia, but her cardiologist is actually more comfortable with the known quantity of stimulant medication, so long as we only use the lowest possible dose effective.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I taught younger DD to take pills using M&Ms. They are sweet if not swallowed properly, so it is easy for them to learn.

But the school should be able to do something similar with the pudding or applesauce. That is not uncommon. You would just have to provide it along with the capsules.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I just looked up Intuniv and the possible side effects of low BP and heart arrhythmia are too risky for DD with her heart condition.

She isn't prone to arrhythmia, but her cardiologist is actually more comfortable with the known quantity of stimulant medication, so long as we only use the lowest possible dose effective.

The non stimulants are definitely not the first choice for treatment. DD tried a few of the stimulants and did awful with them. I wasn't trying to imply you should try intuniv, just that my experience is more with that medicine.
    I think that, at this point, we're really trying to avoid having her take meds at school unless it's unavoidable because she doesn't know how to swallow pills yet and is unwilling to learn. I give her the contents of the Adderall capsule mixed in a spoonful of pudding after she finishes her breakfast every morning, which is what we did for the amoxycillin when she had strep the last two times.
    I taught DD to take pill using M&Ms too. It was easier for her with a straw and not having her put it too far back in her mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I taught younger DD to take pills using M&Ms. They are sweet if not swallowed properly, so it is easy for them to learn.
    We tried this in January with the amoxycillin, but she just crunched them and refused to listen to us about swallowing.

I can always try again in a few months, but I'm not feeling up to it yet.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    The non stimulants are definitely not the first choice for treatment. DD tried a few of the stimulants and did awful with them. I wasn't trying to imply you should try intuniv, just that my experience is more with that medicine. ...
    I totally read it wrong; I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you feel like you'd done something wrong by chiming in. At CHADD.org, there's a great resource sheet about managing medication. I'm finding it's a great resource for me, and I'll have to print it for discussing with DH.

Again, the increase may be moot at this point considering the pharmacy's supply is out-of-stock per their email.

So far, DD is doing fine with the stimulant meds, barring the "adjustment" period with the insomnia at the start and recent crying jag.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    There is a lot of art to finding the correct stimulant dose. If she is on a low dose for her age/weight, then it is not uncommon for a doctor to want to continue ramping up until they get to what is considered a more common dose.

The emotional crash in the afternoons is called rebound, and again is not uncommon with ADHD meds. Like the insomnia, this may be a side effect that disappears as she gets used to the medication. It is possible that an increase in meds may actually help with that. ...
    Question: when you boosted your DD's meds, did she also exhibit insomnia the first day or two on the new dose? We haven't stepped up - the 5mg pills were in earlier this week, but my sinus infection has been kicking my backside, so I've been trying to drive as little as possible.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It did not effect her that way. But it wouldn't be an uncommon side effect and should only last a day or two.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thanks Beth; we increased the dose today, so she'll stay on 15mg this week and next week is Spring Break.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2