boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Assisted Living to Nursing Home

My 90 year old grandma was admitted to the hospital 3 weeks ago. She should be discharged soon, and will not go back to assisted living. She needs rehab and then a nursing home.

Any questions we should be asking in terms of picking a good facility?

Thank you!

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

If she's local, I would start mentioning it to everyone you see that you are looking for a good place. Word of mouth is everything when finding the right place.

My mom was in two different rehab centers - one we recommend, one we don't. On paper they look about the same.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oftentimes a specific rehab is connected to a hospital and that is a smoother move for patients discharged from the hospital since staff can be familiar with physicians, records, etc. I would begin calling around now to find nursing homes that have openings. Does she have any long-term care insurance? Is she connected to a local church? If so some members of the church congregation most likely have had experience with various facilities and could give you their impressions of the various options.

Sending hugs.
    K

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post

My mom was in two different rehab centers - one we recommend, one we don't. On paper they look about the same.

Except it was for my Nana.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Probably too late, but the hospital social workers are often a good resource as well re: rehab. For my job, I work with geriatric social workers in private practice who are invaluable at assisting in placement decisions, both rehab and assisted living/nursing homes.

I hope your grandmother is doing well.