boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default What to do with expired car seats?

I have a base and Chicco Key Fit 30 from 2008/2009 and a Marathon from 2010/2011. I have no use for them. I know seats expire at 5 years, right? So what should I do with them? Just put them in the trash?

Quote Originally Posted by boilermakermom View Post
    I have a base and Chicco Key Fit 30 from 2008/2009 and a Marathon from 2010/2011. I have no use for them. I know seats expire at 5 years, right? So what should I do with them? Just put them in the trash?
    Different seats have different expiration periods, ranging from about 5-10 years. If you or anyone you know will be in the market for another car seat or large piece of baby gear, you could hold onto them until the next Babies R Us trade in event -- they take care of disposal and you get a 25% discount on the new item. Otherwise, make the seats unusable by cutting straps or removing harnesses, remove covers, and put them in black trash bags before you throw them away so no one will see them in the trash pile/can and take them to use.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Oops, duplicate post!

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our local fire station has a drop off where you can put the car seat and supposedly they send it out for recycling.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)