smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone have an indestructible crate bed?

Our 16 month old collie is crate trained. She is in there to sleep and if I leave for a bit during the day. I give her toys, but she still chews holes in every crate bed I have tried for her. I'd love to give her more room to roam, but clearly...she still chews if she's bored...she has chewed window sills, destroys stuffed animals, etc. She is not alone, our 2 pugs are crated next to her and they have to be crated because they are 16 and have little control over their bodily functions anymore. If I'm gone for more than a few hours, I take her to doggie daycare. She chews her beds at night too.

So, anything indestructible? I can't buy a new bed every 2 weeks, but it also bugs me to put her in there without a bed to sleep on (which I have lately while I search).

Or any other ideas? I'm going to ask her trainer too. I think she's due for a little training...teenage dog years! Right now she's in Invisible Fence training, so at least she'll have more room to run (we have 3 acres).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

sdjeppa is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I know someone who used carpet, as their dog would destroy beds. Maybe an option? Also, does it help at all to leave her with a filled Kong or enticing toy to chew on instead? We liked the Everlasting tire toys/treats. Or, does she just tear the bed up and pull out the stuffing, or does she actually rip it apart? Our lab chewed a hole in the bed and pulled the stuffing out of the edge, but once it was gone, she left it alone. I sewed up the hole and still use it on her outdoor bed.

Our 2 year old lab mix is FINALLY growing out of the chewing everything stage. We have tried almost everything!

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've never used a bed in a crate. (I have two dogs and fostered puppies for years.) If she's a chewer, I'd be worried that she'd swallow some of the fabric or stuffing.

If she chews but doesn't eat the bed parts, maybe just some cheap fleece blankets (or yardage from the fabric store) if you want something soft for her?
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

If you're not focused on getting a fluffy soft dog bed and primarily want something to get your dog off the ground, I recommend Kuranda beds. It's more of a "sling" fabric bed but they're supposedly indestructible. I bought one for my Lab/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix before adoption, but he never chews on things so I really haven't tested their claim.

See https://kuranda.com/dog-beds/dog-crate-bed. It's expensive, but not as much as buying a new dog bed every 2 weeks!

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not indestructible, but i have had very good luck with an LL Bean beds. We had a 150 pound Cane Corso Mastiff. I must have washed/dried the bed every few months over 10 years, and after we lost him i was still able to donate the bed cover. It was pricey, but lasted for us. In comparison, costco beds maybe lasted a year or two with washings.