Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What to do - 10.75 years and traveling

DD, currently 10.5, is still in a booster. I haven't weighed or measured her recently, but I'm guessing she's in the ballpark of 75-80lbs and between 4'6"-4'8". We recently took a day trip with a coupe of taxi cabs and used the BubbleBum, which is bigger to carry around than I remembered. She's only once ridden without being in a booster, and the trip was less than one mile.

We're heading to Europe this summer and while we're mostly going to be using public transportation, I'm anticipating one 25 mile cab ride on the motorway and a few 5 mile taxi rides on city streets.

Do I bring the BubbleBum and schlep it around for the trip? Or, is she basically the size that a seatbelt will suffice? I won't know the types of cars in advance so doing the five point tests in advance won't be an option.

Any crazy car seat people (as I'm known to be IRL) car to weigh in?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've loosened up when we're traveling. Ds2 still uses a booster seat but we take taxis and Ubers when we travel without boosters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd just leave the bubble bum at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We just returned from London. We had a car service drive us to the airport. The plan was to take our bubblebums with us. On the way out the door we left DS1's bubblebum and just took DS2's. He used it for the ride to the airport and then not again the whole trip. We're heading to Europe this summer and planning to leave the seats behind. They both use boosters at home but we've decided that for international travel they'll just use seat belts. My DC are 9 and 7.

I am a crazy car seat person, though not near the booster phase yet. At that age and size and mostly using public transportation I would be ok leaving the booster at home. I also loosen up a little when traveling. I would not have let my son forward face before age 2 when traveling, but now that he is 3 and has outgrown the rear facing seat we took on planes, I am ok with him forward facing on vacation even though he isn't at home. I imagine I will also transition both into and out of boosters sooner for vacations than at home. My 9 year old niece rode in my car without a booster a couple of times when we were all on vacation last summer. If she'd been staying at my house and riding in my car frequently I would have gone and bought her a booster, but I let it go for a couple of quick trips (knowing her parents had the option of sending a booster with her and chose not to).
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Would mifold be an option?
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would not take a booster for a child that size.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was very much a the crazy car seat person, but at her age she is fine in a seat belt for the few trips. Also, many European cars are smaller so she may fit fine, but honestly most 7 and 8 year olds who are much smaller ride without a booster everyday. Just make sure she sits properly. You have enough to worry about when traveling, leave the booster at home.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

There are adults who are her height and drive and ride without boosters. I think you can skip the booster for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Have you checked if your DD passes the 5-step test? Mine did when she was a similar age - at least in our family's vehicles and the smaller vehicles that we've taken/rented in Europe!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast