lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Picture Book Rec's Needed - Nephew Turning 4

All -

My nephew AN is turning 4 next week and we're looking for a good book to get him for his birthday.

I want to say that we got him The Book With No Pictures last year, so that "go to" is off the table. We have also given him (and elder brother, AT) Chu the Panda books by Neil Gaiman (there are 3 - Chu's Day, Chu's First Day of School, and Chu's Day at the Beach ... and I hear, on Twitter, that Neil & Adam would love to do more) in the past.

DD has requested we give him something about rocket ships. We can surely try, right?

I haven't had a good browse at the bookstore in a while, so what's out that I might have missed?

ETA: I learned on Facebook today that we definitely gave The Book With No Pictures last year, so maybe Press Here! would be a great follow-up!
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 04-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I don't have any rocket ship recommendations but a few we have liked are:

The Day the Crayons Quit
    One Big Pair of Underwear
    Hot rod Hamster
    Any Elephant and Piggy Book
    Any Karma Wilson Bear Book
    Pete the Cat

I also think Press Here looks fun.

We love Baby Brains by Simon James. He does go to outer space in a rocket at the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This book is adorable and he does go on a rocket ship as one of his adventures. There is a used, like new copy right now for $6. https://www.amazon.com/Clinton-Grego...gregory+secret

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I loved this one, and others by Chris Van Dusen, when my kids were that age.

If I Built a Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525474005..._luf5ybHZ0JK57

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely _Press Here_ and _The Day the Crayons Quit_. Both my just-turned five year old and my 8 year old LOVE the crayon book, and all the 4 year olds love _Press Here_! We also love _Giraffes Can't Dance_ and _You Don't Want a Unicorn_. _Extra Yarn_ is another favorite, and, though I find it dark, my kids love _I Want My Hat Back_. Also, though neither has many words, we adore _The Lion and The Mouse_ (Jerry Pinkney), and _Goodnight Gorilla_.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone!

In our house, we love Mo Willems - DD was nuts about the Pigeon and she's currently at just the right reading level to read Elephant & Piggie independently (though she does love having us read to her, so that's not a bad idea to keep both nephews in mind.)

We have given the family (elder nephew, AT, is 6 months younger than DD; AN is turning 4 next week) the following:

• The Clown of God (Tomie DePaola)
    • Chu's Day (Neil Gaiman; pictures by Adam Rex)
    • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (Mo Willems)
    • The Book With No Pictures (BJ Novak)
    • The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs (Joanna Cole/Bruce Degen)
    • The Magic School Bus Presents: Dinosaurs (this is a nonfiction companion; there are a lot of these and they're great)
    • The Princess in Black (Shannon & Dean Hale; illustrations LeUyen Pham)
    • Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope (Jack Wang & Holman Wang)

My brother's and my sense of humor has a weird edge to it, honed on years of watching Tom Baker Doctor Who adventures and Monty Python's Flying Circus, with a lot of Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, the Three Stooges, Charlie Chaplin, and Buster Keaton tossed in for slapstick.

All of your suggestions so far, even the Klassen, sound fabulous and fun. We will have a lot of hard choices to make when we go to the bookstore next week!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle