TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tell me about the Maestro (ETA: or Graco Tranzitions)

The good and the bad! I'm about to get one for DD2 at Target's trade in. Since I won't be keeping the old seat just in case, I want to know all the ins and outs before I purchase. Thanks!

ETA: The Graco Tranzitions is also a possibility. Can you tell me the good and bad about that seat?
    Last edited by TwoBees; 04-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have 1. It's ok, but I'm replacing with the graco transitions or wayz, which is taller and a bit narrower. I can't fit the maestro next to my RF scenera next.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    I have 1. It's ok, but I'm replacing with the graco transitions or wayz, which is taller and a bit narrower. I can't fit the maestro next to my RF scenera next.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    I was just coming to update my post to add that the Graco Transitions is another possibility. Other than the width, can you tell me more about that seat?

I have never heard of the Wayz. Is that also a Graco seat?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wayz and transitions are the same seat... One is Walmart exclusive and one is BRU.

I'm not really sure what else to say about the maestro. Its light weight. No bells or whistles, but I think I paid about $60 on Amazon for it, so the price is right. It does not make a good booster. That is another reason I am replacing with the graco.

ETA: max harnessed weight is 50# maestro and 65# transitions/wayz. Since we try to RF as long as possible, the maestro has a pretty narrow window of weights.
    Last edited by abh5e8; 04-20-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like my Maestro. It is not glamorous, but so light, so easy to install with a seatbelt. Seriously, I can install with a seatbelt quicker than any other seat. My DD is average height to small but I assume she will fit in it until I am ready for a booster. It is in my DH's car. Cons: straps aren't as nice as my britax and you have to rethread the straps to adjust for height. I just did it and it was easy but still required me to actually do something. I wouldn't want it to be my every day seat but for travel and DH's car it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I was just coming to update my post to add that the Graco Transitions is another possibility. Other than the width, can you tell me more about that seat?

I have never heard of the Wayz. Is that also a Graco seat?
    Try the Wayz/Tranzitions in your car before you buy it, or buy it somewhere you can easily take it back -- if it installs well most people like it. But it has big installation problems in a number of vehicles. So if you can get a good install it is a good seat.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Update: I purchased the tranzitions and I am waiting for it to arrive. I liked that it has a no-rethread harness. The seat is for DD2 in FIL's car and she only rides once a week, so I liked the ability to quickly adjust the harness as she grows without having to uninstall/reinstall. I will update again once it arrives and I have a chance to try installing it.

Bumping this thread again because I am having a terrible time installing the Tranzitions (you were spot-on, gymnbomb). I have tried two cars and both LATCH and seat belt install and I cannot get a tight fit. Not even close. Any suggestions before I return the seat?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Bumping this thread again because I am having a terrible time installing the Tranzitions (you were spot-on, gymnbomb). I have tried two cars and both LATCH and seat belt install and I cannot get a tight fit. Not even close. Any suggestions before I return the seat?
    I do not have personal experience with it, but I have heard a lot of car seat techs say they were unable to get it installed well in some vehicles, so it is probably the seat and not anything you are doing wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I do not have personal experience with it, but I have heard a lot of car seat techs say they were unable to get it installed well in some vehicles, so it is probably the seat and not anything you are doing wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I just found a review where the reviewer said she had luck applying pressure not only to the bottom of the seat but also the back. Since I can't get to the store to return the seat until the weekend, I am going to try that and see if it works.