Thread: Night Training

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Night Training

Greetings Hive! I am turning to your collective wisdom and experience on what is turning out to be a tough one for us.

The Biscuit has taken a while to toilet train. We took the plunge and did naked training at three years and three months over what we now refer to as "the naked Thanksgiving".

He finally agreed to poop in the potty almost exactly one year later.

Last fall we transitioned him from nighttime pull ups to the underpants with the inserts in them.

He is dry now about two nights out of three, but definitely NOT dry that third night. We are down to "leakage" that is either minor (e.g. a few drops on the insert or damp jammies) or major (e.g. wet jammies or wet sheets (and occasionally blankets)) about once a week. Things do go better when we limit water in the hour before bedtime (one cup, max). The Biscuit only use the potty during the night if he wakes himself up to go; if that does not happen then he will NOT get up when we try to wake him because he sleeps very deeply. Also, he wakes us up for company if he goes and I am totally over THAT.

The Biscuit is 5 1/2 now, so should we just buy an extra waterproof mattress cover, go to the double sheet/double mattress cover method that I have read about on here, and go for it over Memorial Day (when we actually will be home and without my ILs disrupting our entire routine over a long holiday weekend for once)? Should we go to the Malem alarm? Are there other or better options?

As always, TIA!!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son just overnight trained a couple of months ago... at age 7. Definitely do a waterproof mattress pad! I like the ones from Lands End.

I did NOT like the Malem alarm. I preferred the Dry Buddy with the optional vibrating attachment (the alarm sounds scared the daylights out of my older son!). The Malem alarm has to be unclipped to go to the bathroom, and has to be clipped on a shirt but my son doesn't like to wear shirts to bed. Dry Buddy can be used with ANY underwear. We didn't use their special underwear, though I did buy a couple.

https://www.drybuddy.com

Still... my son slept through it a lot. He was READY to train when he finally did. And, we had to stop giving him melatonin before bed. Now he can have 1mg melatonin, but not more than that. He is a DEEEEEP sleeper. The sound alarm never woke him, but the vibrating did. I tucked it under the mattress pad so it wouldn't fall off the bed.

I used the Dry Buddy Flex.

My oldest is still showing no signs at all of being dry at night, and we've been sort of lax with it as we have a 2 month old in the house to look after. But, I've heard from a cousin of mine that she's been really happy with using a sort of absorbent bed-mat type thing with her boy. These I think...?

I believe they just stick on top the sheets, and she's said that she reuses them for a few nights when he's able to stay dry.