Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default When stress effects sleep--any suggestions?

I have some really stressful work stuff going on right now, along with concerns about dd. Sometimes I have difficulty falling asleep, but more often I am having difficulty staying asleep - waking up after only a few hours and not going back to sleep. I know how to re-direct myself from the thinking/thoughts about the stress, but I still feel it in my body and I think that is what is interfering with sleep. I am taking steps to make my work life less stressful, but it will be a while and I just can't go without sleep the way I used to.

Can anyone recommend a homeopathic or similar remedy for these types of situations? I am not ready to ask for something to be prescription.

Or maybe some kind of relaxation meditation cd/on-line resource you found particularly helpful. I know there is plenty to google, but asking for ones you have actually benefited from.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I can absolutely recommend using Natural Calm for your circumstances. It has helped me tremendously. It helps me fall asleep, it helps me stay asleep, and if I wake up in the night, it takes just moments to go back to sleep. I take it about an hour or so before bed. I originally heard of it here on BBB several years ago and consider it an invaluable part of my well being.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Thanks for the Natural Calm suggestion! I remember it got a lot of love on the BBB years ago. I tried it then and it didn't seem to work for me. I tried it again after reading your post, PunkyBoo, and I have to say that it still doesn't work for me. I have it a few days thinking it may take a while and I have not experienced any help with my sleep.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks for the Natural Calm suggestion! I remember it got a lot of love on the BBB years ago. I tried it then and it didn't seem to work for me. I tried it again after reading your post, PunkyBoo, and I have to say that it still doesn't work for me. I have it a few days thinking it may take a while and I have not experienced any help with my sleep.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!!
    For me it takes several days to build up in my system. Also, I needed a larger dose (toward the maximum) to start with to see any effects. Now I get by with about a teaspoon. It's not perfect, I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately and despite taking natural calm, I still woke up at 4am yesterday having a mild panic attack and didn't get back to sleep. But at least I'd slept until then, which is better than the horrible stress-induced insomnia I used to get before natural calm.

Aside from that, I recommend getting outside in the sunshine, taking walks, exercise, the usual recommendations.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    For me it takes several days to build up in my system. Also, I needed a larger dose (toward the maximum) to start with to see any effects. Now I get by with about a teaspoon. It's not perfect, I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately and despite taking natural calm, I still woke up at 4am yesterday having a mild panic attack and didn't get back to sleep. But at least I'd slept until then, which is better than the horrible stress-induced insomnia I used to get before natural calm.

Aside from that, I recommend getting outside in the sunshine, taking walks, exercise, the usual recommendations.
    Thanks! I am going to also try bumping it up. How much were you taking when you bumped it up? I have been doing the 2 tsps. I did realized that I hadn't made the water hot enough the first 2 days, so I am making sure to do that now.

Sorry to hear that you have been under so much stress. I hope things get better for you soon.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Things I do (besides magnesium nightly):
    * start dimming all lights about 2 hours before I go to bed (I have Phillips Hue smart lights so this is very easy and my bedroom switches to a red light before bed)
    * take a shower before bed (in dimmed lighting)
    * make sure the room is nice and cool (being hot makes sleeping more difficult-- I sleep naked, have the window open, and 2 fans going)!
    * stop all screen time at least an hour before bed and if you must use your phone put a red nighttime filter app on it to block out blue light
    * run a diffuser with lavender essential oils on my nightstand
    * make sure your bedroom is completely 100% dark (no nightlights, no moonlight peeking in from the windows, no phone charging light, etc)
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Thanks, Latia. What form of magnesium do you take?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks, Latia. What form of magnesium do you take?
    I take Carlson Liquid Magnesium capsules now (1 daily, at night). When I stopped for several months I ended up being deficient on blood tests.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LF39JM
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Melatonin is my friend. I take some meds that cause insomnia. I take 3-6 mg a night (or is it grams--has to be mg. It is 2 pills). It is just melatonin,nothing else. I also have to stretch out before I sleep. (a short 5 minute routine)

I am sorry I don't have recommendations for sleep CDs for adults. I will say that there were many times when we all got to listen to DS's CD of "The Sleep Fairy" when we were on vacation. The voice can be annoying, but it conked us all out! You could try the Rainbow Dreams CD for older kids. If it works, it works!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default When stress effects sleep--any suggestions?

Melatonin here, too. I take only 1mg, because more than that had no effect, for some reason.

ETA: also the diffuser w/ lavender!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast