Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Painful breast lump

Yesterday I noticed a pain right above my nipple that was pretty sore. I had worn a new bra so thought it was caused by that. Well, today it's still there and it hurts! I felt it and it feels hard in that area, almost like mastitis when I was nursing. It's not warm to touch though and no redness on the skin. What could this be? I'll make an appt with the dr but won't be able to get in until next week since it's Friday. Any thoughts??

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do you have lumpy breasts? I do and before my period I notice lumps like you mention and they get sore and then they get better. I'd get it checked out but it seems likely it is nothing. When was your last mammogram?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Do you have lumpy breasts? I do and before my period I notice lumps like you mention and they get sore and then they get better. I'd get it checked out but it seems likely it is nothing. When was your last mammogram?
    Not that I know of. I would know if they were lumpy, right? They are so small it's ridiculous, so I would think I would know. I'm starting to get some redness above the hard area that hurts, so I'm thinking some type of infection? I have never had a mammogram because I'm 36. I did manage to get an appt with my family doctor in the morning, so at least she can see if it's an infection. This is just ridiculous! It hurts just to have my shirt touch it.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is the lump you feel on the inside or visible from the outside? If outside maybe a bug bite or an ingrown hair that is infected. Glad you are seeing a Dr and hope it is easy to resolve. It does sound like an infection of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Is the lump you feel on the inside or visible from the outside? If outside maybe a bug bite or an ingrown hair that is infected. Glad you are seeing a Dr and hope it is easy to resolve. It does sound like an infection of some sort.
    It's on the inside. It's a hard, sore spot like when you have mastitis. Nothing is visible from the outside. So strange! When I called and talked to the nurse she told me that it's good that it hurts, because it's very rare that cancer causes pain.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    It's on the inside. It's a hard, sore spot like when you have mastitis. Nothing is visible from the outside. So strange! When I called and talked to the nurse she told me that it's good that it hurts, because it's very rare that cancer causes pain.
    How long since you've nursed?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    How long since you've nursed?
    DS just turned 5, so it's been 4.5 years since I nursed last but 4 years since I last pumped. I went to the dr this morning and have to have a mammogram on Monday (joy!) and then an ultrasound the following Monday. She really only wanted to to the ultrasound but it wouldn't let her order just an ultrasound since I had never had a mammogram. It does seem a bit softer today but still painful. She thinks it may be a large cyst or an infection of some sort brewing underneath, as she saw no symptoms of an infection today.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

P and pt and please let us know.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Update: So the mammogram showed something, actually much larger than what I was feeling. The pain and hardness I felt went away within a week. However, it showed that my breasts are extremely dense, which doesn't surprise me because there is nothing there, so I didn't think they'd be fatty! The radiologist said he thought it was a cyst. The ultrasound I had on Monday showed nothing. My doctor called yesterday morning and said the radiologist is adamant that I get a biopsy even though she felt it was probably fine. She told me to call immediately after we hung up to get it scheduled though, which make me think there's more to it than they are leading on. Hopefully it's nothing, but I'm a nervous wreck waiting in the process!

I've been there. Several times. Always has turned out to be nothing. I also have very dense breast tissue. It gets worse / more lumpy before my period. Hugs. Hang in there
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast