Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default How do they outgrow stuff so fast!!

I bought nice new Lands End shorts for 2 of my sons for our trip in March to Mexico. I wanted them to have some nice shorts to wear with polo shirts to dinner. Now none of them fit them. Ds1's legs have become very muscular and ds2 has grown 2 inches I think. How is it possible that the shorts fit well just 3 months ago when I bought them and now don't? I'm trying to pack now for another trip and I was relying on taking those with us in 2 days. Sigh.

I should have know this would happen because the same thing happened last year with my other 2 kids. Same problem, different kids, different year.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-25-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I can commiserate!

My 11 year old son was wearing size 10 slim shorts end of last school year. This year - 16 and some 18! Somehow we skipped 12 & 14? Men's size in underwear and t-shirts!

He put on 32 pounds in 14 months. AND THIS IS A KID WHO DOESN"T EAT! How does that happen????

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

It's maddening! Always seems they need new jeans by April, but I'm loathe to buy them coming into summer. Certainly, they'd by high-waters by the time summer passes and school rolls around.

The worst was one soccer season when my daughter was about 7 or so, there was a single weekend off (holiday) then one more game to wrap up the season. The morning of her game, she told me her cleats didn't fit. I basically told her they were fine, we only had one more game. I tried to help her with them, sure enough, they were suddenly WAY too small. What the heck! Mad dash to grab a new pair. Luckily, I think they did fit the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    I can commiserate!

My 11 year old son was wearing size 10 slim shorts end of last school year. This year - 16 and some 18! Somehow we skipped 12 & 14? Men's size in underwear and t-shirts!

He put on 32 pounds in 14 months. AND THIS IS A KID WHO DOESN"T EAT! How does that happen????

Excellent question. Ds1 is 13 yo and these shorts were the lands end boys XL size 18-20. Now they don't fit. I'll have to see if they have boys XL husky. Otherwise, I guess he's going into men's sizes now?? Some of the Jcrew crewcuts fit though. But for how long? Kids are hard to keep up with.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think LE stuff runs way small. My kiddo does better with not sized Urban Pipeline at Kohls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think LE stuff runs way small. My kiddo does better with not sized Urban Pipeline at Kohls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have found the Urban Pipeline stuff to be hit or miss with my kids. Most of the time the problem is their shorts are way too long. My kids tend to run short so normally LE was a good fit. But DS1's chest and leg muscles are really filling out. He's becoming much more muscular and his shape is just changing. I have saved DS1's outgrown clothes for ds2 so I can go pull out those bins. I'm just frustrated because I had washed everything from our March trip and repacked it for this trip hoping to simplify packing this time. It was mainly all warm-weather clothes that we here in Wisconsin won't be wearing until June. No such luck. Time to reevaluate clothing choices.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I found DD going through phases like that when she was a toddler; it's why I never bought clothes or shoes ahead - I never knew what sizes she'd be in during which season. Of course, it'd happen most often when we bought shoes. (So crazy frustrating! I now try to spend as little as possible on her shoes.)

I can also remember my brothers going through this from time to time, but, fortunately, my mother had tapped into the hand-me-down network for them and usually had a contact or three who had kids in the correct sizes.

I definitely empathize!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yep, black pants we bought for DS to wear for band performances this year no longer fits. Luckily the last performance doesn't require their "uniform".

What also hurts is buying new Scout uniforms every two years (and they make the legs overly long on those!) Those suckers are pricey!
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

There was something about the 13-14 year age change is all I can say. DS skipped sizes and it is a pain. At 14.5 years, he will now wear ON 30 waist shorts this summer. I guess he will be a 30 or 31 in their pants for the school year. I always liked ON and LE sizing for him. He is still skinny though, just growing like a weed.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

sdjeppa is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post
    What also hurts is buying new Scout uniforms every two years (and they make the legs overly long on those!) Those suckers are pricey!
    This. DS1 is 13.5 and very tall. I think he's grown 3 inches just in the past couple months! We bought new Scout pants and hemmed them, leaving them a little long - within a month, his ankles were showing. How is that even possible??? Not to mention all the gear he's outgrowing - good backpacking and hiking gear (and hiking boots!) are not cheap! Thank goodness he wears uniform shorts, not pants, every day - they just need to last 2 more weeks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast