Question Silly question, early morning/nighttime sort of PT confusion??

Hi all!

So I've been at a loss with something that I somewhat recently sort of discovered was a thing with my just turned 4 yr old DS1. He's been daytime potty trained since a bit after 3, but does still wear a diaper each night as he's still VERY wet at night and has had literally only two dry nights his entire life. We attempted pull ups in the past but bailed on them after about a solid month of them being a bit of a disaster (and DS complaining that they were 'itchy')... so I've pretty much just stuck with the Huggies Overnights in size 6.

My question is: if he's very reliably potty trained in the day, should I be taking issue with it if he still knowingly pees in his nighttime diaper right as he's waking up in the morning..? :S

We have a 2 month old baby that usually has us scrambling in the morning, and I've admittedly been kind of 'meh' about shrugging off that DS1 does this a lot of mornings. He's always been very good about letting us change him into undies not long after he's up and about, but I'm unsure if this is ok..?

Thanks a ton in advance!!

I wouldn't worry about it. If he's wearing a diaper, let him pee in it. You can always immediately take him to the bathroom the second you notice he's awake. But you have a new baby, so I would just not worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. If he's wearing a diaper, let him pee in it. You can always immediately take him to the bathroom the second you notice he's awake. But you have a new baby, so I would just not worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That goes right along the lines of what my mother suggested. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not a completely awful mom!

Truthfully with how our mornings have been, I'll admit that DH and I both are sort of okay with not stressing over rushing him to the bathroom first thing when he wakes up for the time being... as awful as that sounds.

Do you think this also should apply for the middle of the night..? DS1 still pretty often comes to sleep with DH and I sometime in the night, if he happens to wake up while we're taking care of his new brother, and I've noticed a couple of times that once he's settled in bed with DH and I, he'll kind of squirm around for a bit and pee before he falls asleep. This is in addition to him waking up feeling like he has to go first thing in the morning, and obviously not yet being dry while he's asleep... I'm fairly certain he's a world record nighttime pee'er.
    Last edited by PassTheCoffee; 05-30-2017 at 02:47 AM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At 4 yo with a new baby in the house I wouldn't give it a second thought!