Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Does your animal shelter or local library offer opportunities to read to animals?

I know this probably sounds a little out of the ordinary, but you mentioned he's into animals but is a reluctant reader. I wonder if combining reading time with an opportunity to be with animals would help encourage him to read more?
    One of our library systems does Read to Rover once a month. We still go whenever we can. DS doesn't actually read to them anymore, he just sits on the floor with the dogs and talks to the people about puppy raising since the group is associated with Canine Companions.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

I am going to look into our library programs this summer. I know they have done that in the past, but I'm not sure if it's a regular thing.

I am also going to look into a program that looks for families to foster dogs/puppies for a weekend. It's affiliated with our local prison where the inmates are training the dogs to be service dogs and are looking to socialize the dogs in the program. So you foster for a weekend only.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2