Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Why are women like this??

I just got back from a neighborhood swim party. The moms there were all my good friends and I was looking forward to socializing with them, since I have opted out of a lot of social activities lately because of my baby.
    However, the talk centered around weight almost the entire time! What size of suit is everyone wearing? What work out has helped whose abs look the best? What bathroom scale do you have? And on and on... I'm all for fitness and looking one's best but sometimes people need to be happy with where they are right now. And realize there is more to life than having a perfect figure.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We do sometimes discuss workouts but never weight or size. That sounds annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, that's awful. My friends and I don't discuss stuff like that.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Yeah that!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Same, I've never had friends like this at any stage of my life. I wouldn't say it's "women", I'd say it's women you hang out with. (What scale do you have? Yawn.)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Same, I've never had friends like this at any stage of my life. I wouldn't say it's "women", I'd say it's women you hang out with. (What scale do you have? Yawn.)
    I agree. All of my woman friends range in age from mid 30's to 50 of varying weight and size. We don't discuss like that, apart from maybe new workout regime or new healthier recipes. Our thing among the few select friends is starting talking about whole30 program, but that would be one or second time discussion vs dominating our topics every time we get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

That is strange! I have never had that type of conversation with my friends. I don't even own a scale, so I probably wouldn't fit in .

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Add me to the 'never had that experience (and grateful for it!)' group.

I mean, I've talked with pals about working out - as in, 'I finally went to the gym today' or 'I went to the gym and I'm so sore today' and we've had walks around the track together. But I can honestly say I have no idea if any of my women friends have scales or what kind.

That sounds awful!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

We talk workouts and fitness goals--from fitting in your jeans to doing a 100 mile endurance run. But not what we weigh or what size we wear. The ultra work out stuff can get really competitive and crazy here. I feel good about my workout program and the level at which I compete in races so I'm fine.

petesgirl--you just had a baby!!! Yes, I didn't do anything really until each of my kids was about a year and they self-weaned. Then I spent a 6-12 mos getting back in shape. You have nothing to worry about right now except taking care of your baby and your DS and trying to find sanity time for you!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    We talk workouts and fitness goals--from fitting in your jeans to doing a 100 mile endurance run. But not what we weigh or what size we wear. The ultra work out stuff can get really competitive and crazy here. I feel good about my workout program and the level at which I compete in races so I'm fine.

petesgirl--you just had a baby!!! Yes, I didn't do anything really until each of my kids was about a year and they self-weaned. Then I spent a 6-12 mos getting back in shape. You have nothing to worry about right now except taking care of your baby and your DS and trying to find sanity time for you!!!
    Maybe this is why it bothered me so much, I definitely have the most to lose out of all of them! Even so, I don't know.. Who discusses weight loss for over 2 hours?? I feel like weight is such a personal matter and I hate that women compare ourselves to each other in this aspect.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast