Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

That amount would be a big bill for us right now. We would just have to wait it out, no questions asked really. When our cat was 2, she swallowed a button and the ensuing testing and surgery cost almost $3,000. We gladly paid it and then spent the next 18 months paying it all. My parents thought we were crazy.

She's now 15. She's been on an expensive prescription food for the past 10 years because of UTI issues and she's taking medicine for allergies. She's also diabetic, and that involves brand-name insulin and syringes. Every time we go out of town, we pay $40 a day for a pet sitter to come give her shots. Our vacation next month - not even quite a week long - comes with a $250 pet sitting fee. So we are at a line simply maintaining. Pet ownership comes with costs, but this is costing more than we though.

That said, I agree with a couple of PP who suggested a second opinion. I know for certain that our vet practice is one of the more expensive in town, but we really like the doctors. But if there was a major, major issue, I would probably look around for someone who didn't charge as much.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's a difficult question for anyone to answer but you and I'm so sorry that you are facing it. We live in a very HCOL area and our vet is expensive but we love her. She suggested that our dog get her teeth cleaned (which required general anesthesia) and it costs in the ballpark of $1500 at her practice. We were shocked it was that much, but I made calls to other vets in our town and they were ALL in that range. I started a thread on Nextdoor asking for recommendations and was surprised to learn how many neighbors took their pets to a practice across the bay (about 15-20 miles from our house) where things aren't quite as expensive and it cost a fraction of what I was being quoted. This other practice was phenomenal and I wish it were closer, but I know for the big things, we'll always make the trek over to go to them. It's not practical for regular visits, but definitely worth the drive for more expensive procedures. All this to say, maybe you could research if costs go down in surrounding towns from you?

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is such a personal decision. Our dog just needed his teeth cleaned due to very stinky breath, and we were told one extraction was likely necessary (our total was going to be $2500). We really debated doing it. But the vet explained to us that the loose tooth was due to decay and that a more serious infection could occur if we didn't clean it/treat it (still not sure if this was true or just a sales pitch, but we didn't want to risk an infection). They cleaned the teeth and decided the extraction wasn't necessary. Apparently they irrigated it will and applied a topical antibiotic to it in addition to some sort of sealant or something that we were told would tighten the tooth back up. He was also put on oral antibiotics. So you might want to ask if a cleaning/sealant could suffice.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

the problem with bad teeth is they can abscess and cause severe pain. I had a tooth abscess and it was seriously more painful then when I had natural childbirth! And the infection can travel via the blood and damage heart muscle.

That being said, 1500 for us right now would be out of the question for teeth. I guess we'd do what we had to but I doubt we honestly could make it work for dental on a 13yo animal. .... and this is from a person who spent 5000 for back surgery + rehab and chiropractic appts for the next 7 years on a dog. We were simply in a different financial position then and could manage it.

So do what you can live with and dont be afraid to shop around.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    It's a difficult question for anyone to answer but you and I'm so sorry that you are facing it. We live in a very HCOL area and our vet is expensive but we love her. She suggested that our dog get her teeth cleaned (which required general anesthesia) and it costs in the ballpark of $1500 at her practice. We were shocked it was that much, but I made calls to other vets in our town and they were ALL in that range. I started a thread on Nextdoor asking for recommendations and was surprised to learn how many neighbors took their pets to a practice across the bay (about 15-20 miles from our house) where things aren't quite as expensive and it cost a fraction of what I was being quoted. This other practice was phenomenal and I wish it were closer, but I know for the big things, we'll always make the trek over to go to them. It's not practical for regular visits, but definitely worth the drive for more expensive procedures. All this to say, maybe you could research if costs go down in surrounding towns from you?
    That is what people do in our HCOL area and for dentistry primarily (though a friend went 60 miles to a rural vet for a surgery her husband wouldn't agree to at the cost quoted at their regular vet). In our area, even 6-10 miles away in neighborhoods with lower rents so the vets aren't as pressured to charge as much. This is a regular topic on our neighborhood list serve and FB group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah sorry that is definitely too much for me. I would have to find another solution.

I do think if you can find someone to do the procedure for less, you should have it done now. Dental care really can extend your cat's life and save you from an emergency situation where your cat is in terrible pain or has a bad infection. It certainly is worth shopping around, because prices do vary wildly. But if you can't afford it, you can always start saving now and put it off until you have the money. People do come before pets, and if the pet is not suffering, it's hard to justify a big bill, but I do believe dental care is just as important as other veterinary care and should be done the same way you would pay for vaccines or the like. I'd shop around and gather more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you checked with the University of Missouri, Columbia - College of Veterinary Medicine?

I would get a second opinion and also check the college. As far as the IBD, I would ask for recommendations for new cat food. I'm sorry you are having to make these choices.

You have to decide what's in your family best interest and the line you're comfortable to draw at. Growing up with pets my entire life, save for college away years and post graduate work, I've never been without a pet. So I get it, pet bills can get very expensive very fast! This is coming from me who spend thousands and more on our two boxers, but we felt they were worth it and I felt a responsibility to them since they're members of the family. Definitely shop around as dental care really vary from practice to practice, even town to town! But I remember spending 1800 on a simple cleaning and extraction for our elderly boxer few years ago. Blood work is the norm as it can be a concern for elderly pets to withstand surgery.

It's one of main reasons when our second boxer died back in 2015, we decided to hold off from adopting another boxer in few years time. We had expensive private preschool tuition and renovation work on our kitchen and knew if something were to come up with our new pet, it may be a struggle to pay. Do your best. It's a tough choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2