Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default summer fitness/accountability thread

what is everyone doing to stay in shape this summer?
    i normally do running (i take my kids running, and trained with them for a 5k race on memorial day weekend), but since then, it's just too freaking hot here to be outside! i had been doing core exercise classes, yoga and HIIT at a yoga studio, but was getting into a funk and wasn't really motivated to go as often, especially given i normally have to drive 15-20 minutes to it.

So, i found a Pure Barre studio that was just 5 minutes from my work so i've been going to that for past 2 weeks..and WOW, i am loving it. i'm addicted!! i have been going 5x a week, which is a record for me. And, no need to get up early or lose any sleeptime I swear i am feeling/seeing results after only 10 classes (2 weeks). I like how it is low impact. i was able to get 1 week free + additional month unlimited for $99, and probably will get some sort of monthly membership after that. it is pricey, but if i am able to consistently go 5x per week, it will be very much worth it.

Also, about 3x a week i've been doing dance (zumba, etc) videos on youtube for about half an hour with my DD. DD is actually the one who motivates me..she hates walking/running but LOVES to dance and begs every evening to do these videos. There is one lady on youtube (Dance Fitness with Jessica) that has dance videos with Disney songs (moana, little mermaid) with her daughters dancing along too and my DD loves those (though she also likes dancing to Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You" as well, lol).

Curious to what other BBB'ers are doing this summer, please chime in! I know several people work out at home with DVDs and weights in their home gym, and i'm jealous if you can be that disciplined and efficient. I personally need the accountability of a class at specific times, plus i love getting out of the house .

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Either running solo or walking with ds2 5 days/ week, depending on our schedule. Because of the kids' swim team, I'm having trouble finding gym time but try and go twice/ week for a quick weight workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought a bike!! I've had a tri road bike for years but it is crazy uncomfortable to go on leisurely family bike rides so I bit the bullet and bought a beach cruiser. I am sooooo loving this thing!!! I have gone on rides every opportunity that I can...and I drag my kids with me.

Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    what is everyone doing to stay in shape this summer?
    i normally do running (i take my kids running, and trained with them for a 5k race on memorial day weekend), but since then, it's just too freaking hot here to be outside! i had been doing core exercise classes, yoga and HIIT at a yoga studio, but was getting into a funk and wasn't really motivated to go as often, especially given i normally have to drive 15-20 minutes to it.

So, i found a Pure Barre studio that was just 5 minutes from my work so i've been going to that for past 2 weeks..and WOW, i am loving it. i'm addicted!! i have been going 5x a week, which is a record for me. And, no need to get up early or lose any sleeptime I swear i am feeling/seeing results after only 10 classes (2 weeks). I like how it is low impact. i was able to get 1 week free + additional month unlimited for $99, and probably will get some sort of monthly membership after that. it is pricey, but if i am able to consistently go 5x per week, it will be very much worth it.

Also, about 3x a week i've been doing dance (zumba, etc) videos on youtube for about half an hour with my DD. DD is actually the one who motivates me..she hates walking/running but LOVES to dance and begs every evening to do these videos. There is one lady on youtube (Dance Fitness with Jessica) that has dance videos with Disney songs (moana, little mermaid) with her daughters dancing along too and my DD loves those (though she also likes dancing to Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You" as well, lol).

Curious to what other BBB'ers are doing this summer, please chime in! I know several people work out at home with DVDs and weights in their home gym, and i'm jealous if you can be that disciplined and efficient. I personally need the accountability of a class at specific times, plus i love getting out of the house .
    LOVE Pure Barre. I started a year ago. It has changed the shape of my body. Made me so much stronger and a better athlete overall. I played golf for the first time in many years and I was driving further and straighter than ever before. When I swim, I can swim, longer after doing PB. I am obsessed. So yes that is what I am doing. I try to make 3 or 4 classes a week. I am on a 6 month series right now.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids summer activities interfere with my normal gym time so I am getting up at 5:40 AM to go to 6:00 classes. I'm not a morning person but it is daylight here at that time so it makes it easier to get up. I also love being done with working out first thing. It is also very temporary, swim team is over in 4 weeks and I can go back to my normal schedule of going to the gym later in he mornings. I'm doing HIIT classes, body pump and a total body class. I love Barre too but doesn't work with my schedule now. I am missing cycle classes which I normally do 2x a week but they start at 5:30 AM and that's just too early for me.

Snugglebuggles - oh yeah, walking & running with kids is great. for past couple months or so i was taking kids on daily walks as well, and would sometimes run with DS for a couple miles. DS had a program from his PE class that had kids log all their miles they walked or ran to try to get 26 miles and in the end they got some sort of prize (a marathon kids tshirt). That really motivated him to walk (or run) which motivated me as well...that and the 5k training. After dinner most days i would take kids out walking and try to get a mile in, but lately has been pretty tough bc it has so hot and muggy . i've resorted to taking them on walks starting at 8:00pm bc it's the only time it's bearable to be outside..and my kiddos just looove being outside. i felt bad though for keeping kids up rather late..hope that at least next week when DS no longer has to wake up early for summer school it would make it easier.

SASM - ooh that bike is gorgeous!! that makes me think of California (where i grew up) ...would always see people riding those bikes along the beach. i've thought about getting a bike myself..maybe when my kids are a bit older and can ride with me! i used to have a mountain bike many years ago, but probably would get a road bike next time, bc yeah, it's not the best for long "fun" bike rides.

PhillyMom - that is awesome! i'm hoping PureBarre will change my body shape too. my tummy was getting so flabby and i finally realized that all the cardio/running in the world wasn't doing squat to help it, and i really needed to do some targeted exercises & toning. PB is something i actually enjoy doing!!

MMSmom - that is great you can get a workout done in the mornings! I too have am slave to kids' crazy schedule (DS's summer camp ends tomorrow, w00t!) so what i can do in the mornings is super limited. right now we have DC in different summer camps in the morning, so i either have to take my DS (leaving around 7am) or my DD (around 8am)...makes it tough to get anything done in the morning even if i could theoretically do an early morning class. My Pure Barre has 5:45am classes on most weekdays, but i've never done it bc i would have to wake up at 4:45am just to get dressed plus get all my stuff ready for the day (pack my breakfast & lunch, pack shower stuff/ change of clothes to shower/change at work etc). I suppose if i planned better i could do it..or if i just said i was going to come home to shower/change (though i'd get into work much later). Friday i plan to take my first 5:45am class for Pure Barre , but that will be unusually easy bc i'm taking that day off work so all i have to do is wake up, get dressed for the class and that's it. We are leaving for vacation Friday morning for the weekend and i didn't want to waste many days not being able to go to Pure Barre! lol!

Anyway, today i went to Pure Barre during lunch. i've done maybe 12 classes now and it still does not feel repetitive - they manage to really mix it up which is good. tomorrow (Thurs) is my off day since i have to pick up DS from his last day of summer schoo and then i have to pick up kids from daycare in the evening. But hopefully can sneak half hour of doing a dance video in the evening!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-29-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Took the most boring run today. I decided to try going a different way while ds1 was swimming. Not a speck of shade until the last half mile. That last half mile was all up hill so not a great relief. But, it's done. It was a sweaty 45 minutes. Good thing to do as there was a brownie leftover from last night's July 4th party.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Went to the gym today
    deadlifts
    power cleans
    prowler push
    farmers carry
    situps
    pushups
    kettle bell swings

trying to do 5 days a week but about to go on a 2 week vacation so will be out for a bit.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Tuesday (4th) - Pure Barre class in the morning
    Wednesday (today) -went to Pure Barre on my lunch break. oh wow, this class really burned! i feel my muscles tingling the rest of the day.

we were out of town this past weekend but i did manage to go to a local Barre studio there for one day and then another day do a 30minute Barre workout from youtube.

DH is really getting into yoga. he order a ton of yoga equipment (blocks, bolsters, mats ) and we are looking to transform one of our game rooms (add a TV, etc) so we can do yoga/dance/barre videos at home if we want. our kids are old enough they can do a lot of them with us. i'm excited about it!

Quote Originally Posted by [emoji813
    ms.pacman;4256419]Tuesday (4th) - Pure Barre class in the morning
    Wednesday (today) -went to Pure Barre on my lunch break. oh wow, this class really burned! i feel my muscles tingling the rest of the day.

we were out of town this past weekend but i did manage to go to a local Barre studio there for one day and then another day do a 30minute Barre workout from youtube.

DH is really getting into yoga. he order a ton of yoga equipment (blocks, bolsters, mats ) and we are looking to transform one of our game rooms (add a TV, etc) so we can do yoga/dance/barre videos at home if we want. our kids are old enough they can do a lot of them with us. i'm excited about it!
    One of your game rooms?

Is your dh the type to stick with things? My dh tends to go all in and then 3 months later, he's moved on. We're still amazed that he stuck with karate for 3 years. Only stopped bc he hurt his shoulder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast