Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do you let your pre-teen/teen sleep in?

DS1 is almost 14 and has started "sleeping in" a bit more than he used to. On weekends, the rest of the family is up by 8 at the latest (normally around 7 unless we've had a late night) and he'd stay in bed until 10 if we let him (we don't). Now that it's summer vacation, DS1 would like to sleep in every day. I understand that teenagers require more sleep than younger kids and adults, but was curious what others allow... DH and I both work FT, so we are in bed by 10 pm and then out of the house by 7 am (DH earlier).

So do you:

1. Have a designated bedtime? Is it different during the summer months?
    2. Have a wake-up time in summer months?

I left the house at 7:30 today and told the babysitter to wake him around 9 am. She tried 5 times and then he finally got up around 10 am. We make both kids go to bed between 9 and 9:30 pm. Starting next week, he'll have hockey in the mornings, so sleeping in won't be an issue, but he'll have days off... WWYD?
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Do you let your pre-teen/teen sleep in?

Sleep is important. We let him be.
    5 mornings/ week he has swim team practice though so sleeping in is a luxury.

When he was your ds's age, he had to go up to his room around 10 but we aren't enforcing that consistently anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's 10:30 and my 13 and 14 year olds just got up . I let them sleep. DD1 is in a play right now that has rehearsal until 10 pm nightly, so we are all up pretty late here. Sleeping in isy favorite thing ever. I am ok with my kids sleeping as much as they want.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can't wait for that day here... my 12 year old never slept past 7am a day in his life!

More sleep = less grumpiness here.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's 9:45am and DD is still asleep. Our big plans for the day are a vet appointment this morning and DD's gym practice late this afternoon. There's no reason she needs to be awake right now.

After sleeping in super late for a couple of mornings, she realized that too much sleep makes her tired for most of the day, so she now has an alarm set for 9am. Needless to say, just because the alarm goes off at 9am, that doesn't mean she actually gets up at 9am!

She doesn't get to stay up later if she sleeps in.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I let them sleep when they can because many mornings they are up with activities and sports. Also because I'll admit, I love to sleep in. I would rather stay up late at night when I get a second wind and sleep longer in the morning. Ours don't really have a bedtime in the summer. We just all go upstairs to bed at the same time after we say prayers together. During the school year that's 9pm, during the summer it has been 10pm or sometimes later. We all usually take a book upstairs and once they are tucked in they will read for however long. I dont care, I'm just thrilled they are reading.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I let her sleep until 8:30 max. Usually I try to wake her by 8. She goes to bed at 10 at the latest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Sleep is necessary. If they don't have something to do, they can sleep.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wake my teen by 930/10. Otherwise it throws off her whole sleep rhythm. Even in the summer she has camps for a few weeks and needs to be up by 730 for those, so it's best not to let her sleep in too much.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

They need sleep and they need sleep in the morning according to many studies. Their bodies and brains are going through incredible development right now in the middle school years. Our local school district just went through a huge decision to move start times later for middle and high school kids for this reason (not 10 obviously!). I would let him sleep in, we do and my child was an early riser until it hit him suddenly a couple of months ago and he slept later. He goes to bed later with summer too, 11 after watching the opening of The Daily Show. He was an early to bed, early to rise guy before the throes of teenagerdom happened. Let them sleep if they don't need to be up early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast