Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    5,795

    Default

    When I was that age, I'd sleep until 11:30 in the summers! Probably because most nights, I'd be up reading til 4am... For HS, I had to be up at 5:30am. I needed the sleep once school was out.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,420

    Default

    I do unless we have somewhere to be. The day after the 4th of July this week I had to wake DD1 at 11:30am because we had a lunch commitment, but she usually doesn't sleep quite that late!
    Allison

    DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

  3. #13
    Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,117

    Default

    I don't wake him unless there's a reason. Sleeping in is the best part of summer break! I didn't get up until 10 this morning!
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

  4. #14
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,687

    Default

    Can I just say that I am so jealous of all this sleeping in? DD is up between 6 and 6:30 every day, even when she is up late the night before. She is only 6, so maybe there is hope for sleeping in when she get older.


    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,484

    Default

    My kids are younger, but I, myself, have a lot of trouble sleeping and am often up very late at night. I do not let myself sleep in, and I won't let my family do it either. It's very poor sleep hygiene. We do adjust bedtime and waking time with summer. We all (except DH who has inflexible work hours) regularly stay up about an hour later and sleep about an hour later, but if we have a really late night, we still get up in the morning, even on weekends. Teenagers generally have a sleep cycle that shifts late. They want to stay up late and sleep late, and that's okay. I'd let my teen sleep later as long as the schedule was consistent. As long as your teen is waking up at the same time each day regardless of bedtime, you'll be okay. Just make sure you've got enough time to move the waking time earlier incrementally (15 minute increments work great) before school starts up again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    7,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Can I just say that I am so jealous of all this sleeping in? DD is up between 6 and 6:30 every day, even when she is up late the night before. She is only 6, so maybe there is hope for sleeping in when she get older.


    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DS1 is like this. He's always been a wake up between 5 and 6 am sort of kid. Doesn't your DD have ADHD? I think ADHD kids often have sleep issues. (Mines getting evaluated for it soon.). I will say that since we started medicating him and having him swim at night 4 times a week, he will sleep until 7 or 7:30 a couple of times a week...sometimes.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

  7. #17
    KpbS's Avatar
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,044

    Default

    Mine hasn't started sleeping in late and I'm not sure he will, never has slept past 7:15. I agree w PP and would keep a consistent bedtime (9 sounds good) during the summer and let him sleep in til 9/9:30 on the days he doesn't have to be up and out the door. Sleep is super important, but it is easy to have their sleep/wake cycles shift, making it harder to fall asleep earlier and wake earlier when needed.
    K

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    9,281

    Default

    DS1 is 13 and I wake him up once it hits noon!!! If I don't wake him up he's slept as late as 3pm before! 😂 That's on weekends only, during the week he has summer camp at 9am every day. DH and I go to DS2's sports games every Saturday morning, but leave DS1 sleeping in. All DS1's activities aren't till 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays. He stays up as late as 1am on weekends, but 10:30pm on weekdays. We're both night owls!

    Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

  9. #19
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    DS1 is like this. He's always been a wake up between 5 and 6 am sort of kid. Doesn't your DD have ADHD? I think ADHD kids often have sleep issues. (Mines getting evaluated for it soon.). I will say that since we started medicating him and having him swim at night 4 times a week, he will sleep until 7 or 7:30 a couple of times a week...sometimes.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    She does, sleeping has always been an issue with her. Yesterday she was in the pool a lot and stayed up late...she 'slept in' until 6:40 today. Hopefully her mood is ok today. She doesn't do well with not enough sleep.


    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    7,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Mine hasn't started sleeping in late and I'm not sure he will, never has slept past 7:15. I agree w PP and would keep a consistent bedtime (9 sounds good) during the summer and let him sleep in til 9/9:30 on the days he doesn't have to be up and out the door. Sleep is super important, but it is easy to have their sleep/wake cycles shift, making it harder to fall asleep earlier and wake earlier when needed.
    I could not sleep at 9 pm in the summer and there are still activities in our per group at that time! I can't imagine getting a tween or teen (or my ten year old) in bed at 9, we are still out and about. The changes with fall and getting dark earlier and the rigors of school and being tired out from it do the trick for getting back to sleep earlier during the year (still not quite that early here - sports until 8 or 8:30 pm some nights).



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •