Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS's middle school starts at 8am, but you can request zero period and do PE at 7am and do 2 electives instead of 1 elective. DS who has to be dragged out of bed wanted to do zero period, we told him it means close to 6am wake up time. He said he'll get used to it. There's no busses here, and I should leave for work around 7am, so I'll be leaving at 6:45 to drop him off. Only reason we agreed was because it means I'll miss traffic commuting to work and I'll never be late.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i wish i could trade with many people here! in school districts here, elementary is 7:45 start, middle is 8:25, and high school is 9:00 am.
    as a mom to 2 young elementary kids, i don't like it!! Seems counterintuitive to me, bc little ones need so much sleep.

in our house right now, one of us usually get home with kids at 6 and then dinner is usually on the table at 7-7:30pm. It works perfectly for everyone in our family. I don't think my kids have EVER gone to bed before 8pm. It's always after 9pm, sometimes closer to 10. we like spending time with them after getting home and having lots of time for them to leisurely play, eat dinner, veg, take baths, etc. i cannot imagine just getting home from work and rushing thru everything and putting them to bed not even couple hours later. i wish elementary schools started later so then it would be easier. right now it's nice bc its' summer and they go to daycare and so they can stay up later and dont' end up going in until 830 or 9am...we are so loving it. but in the school year it's annoying... i feel so rushed in the evenings, all because they have to get up the next morning at 6:45. boo!

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would also love to trade with some of you! Middle school starts at 9am. High school is 8:40 four days/week and 9:20 the other day. Neither kid qualifies to ride the bus because we live too close. Very difficult as a single WOHP.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

In our district, elementary starts at 7:40 and MS & HS begin at 8:40. The elementary school bus picks up at 6:40 but I SAH and take him.

Elementary is 9-330 here. Middle is 8-3. HS is 7:15-2:30. My little guy is up and ready and has almost an hour of play or reading time before we leave for school. Seems silly when study after study shows older kids bodies naturally are programmed to sleep later. District discussed it in several focus group meetings but decided it would cost too much to switch everything around due to buses.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

As a working parent I wouldn't mind an early start time and TBH we are lucky that DH's schedule can handle the 8 am drop off or Monday 9 am drop off, but if they did it I would expect less home work and the ability to put my kids to bed at an early hour between 8:30 and 9:30; there were some nights when DD1 went to bed after I did so around 10 pm. I did have zero period for band in the 8th grade (so I could be on student council) and it was tough, but I made it work, and then in high school I often went in early for extra Algebra 2 help at 7 am and that was easier, and by college I felt like I did better work on harder classes first thing in the AM. I had friends who had to take the bus from the country 10-15 miles from town and they were always on by 7 am for an 8 am start. If DD1 goes to the Catholic high school in the big city downtown the bus leaves her current elementary school at 7 am for an 8 am start and I am not entirely opposed to that if it is the right school for her. If she has to take the city to that high school (or any other public high school) the bus she would take would have to leave about the same time (a lot of kids here take the city busses to high school).
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-22-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2