Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Which City Would You Visit??

DH and I take a week-long couples vacation every fall. This year we are going the end of October/first of November so we need some place warmer. (anything over 50 degrees is fine with us) We need to keep this a domestic vacation this year after spending most of our vacation bucks on a 2 week London/Ireland trip with kids in June. What we like: museums--mostly history but some art is ok too, foodies--love farm to table type restaurants, we enjoy mixing in some hiking/biking/kayaking. We don't do: tours, beaches, house/gardens viewing. Here is where I have narrowed it down to:

Atlanta--plenty of history places to see, civil rights museums, southern history museums, lots of restaurants. Not very outdoorsy but there is plenty of other stuff to do--but maybe there are some places to hike/bike?? Any side trips to take?

Memphis--music history galore. Graceland (i have never been). Don't know if there is enough for a week there. May want to spend a few days here and then some days somewhere else??

Austin: Great food scene, some interesting museums, lots of bike trails, awesome music scene. Enough for a week though?

San Antonio: We could see the Alamo plus the other missions in town, the River Walk, good food places, don't know about outdoorsy stuff?? Again--side trips??

Any thoughts/ideas on these locations are much appreciated!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I live in the Atlanta suburbs and don't think I would recommend a week-long vacation here. There are places to hike scattered around the city, but the best would be in north Georgia, which would be at least a couple of hours drive from the city. Maybe you could stay a couple of days in the city, then drive to the mountains for a couple of days, then tack a couple more city days on at the end. But, compared to the places that I know you regularly hike, this part of the country may be unimpressive.

I have spent only a little time in Austin and San Antonio, but they are pretty close together, maybe you could combine those two and make a decent trip out of it.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    DH and I take a week-long couples vacation every fall. This year we are going the end of October/first of November so we need some place warmer. (anything over 50 degrees is fine with us) We need to keep this a domestic vacation this year after spending most of our vacation bucks on a 2 week London/Ireland trip with kids in June. What we like: museums--mostly history but some art is ok too, foodies--love farm to table type restaurants, we enjoy mixing in some hiking/biking/kayaking. We don't do: tours, beaches, house/gardens viewing. Here is where I have narrowed it down to:

Atlanta--plenty of history places to see, civil rights museums, southern history museums, lots of restaurants. Not very outdoorsy but there is plenty of other stuff to do--but maybe there are some places to hike/bike?? Any side trips to take?

Memphis--music history galore. Graceland (i have never been). Don't know if there is enough for a week there. May want to spend a few days here and then some days somewhere else??

Austin: Great food scene, some interesting museums, lots of bike trails, awesome music scene. Enough for a week though?

San Antonio: We could see the Alamo plus the other missions in town, the River Walk, good food places, don't know about outdoorsy stuff?? Again--side trips??

Any thoughts/ideas on these locations are much appreciated!

Memphis/Nashville?

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

San Antonio and Austin are a little more than an hour apart. You could easily visit both in a week. There are nice resorts outside both cities that may have off season deals at that time of year.

Just to clarify--I don't mean hike with a capital H. More like stroll. :-) We don't expect hiking on vacation, we can do that at home. But we have had some nice bike rides around parks, 1-2 hour hikes, walks around nature preserves, and some fun kayaks while on vacation. And then there are the city trips where it is all museums and landmarks--which is why we go to cities--to see stuff we can't see here.

What is 2-3 hours outside of Atlanta as side trips? I think we want to avoid mountains at the end of October--snow??

I didn't realize Austin and San Antonio were so close. Yes, they could make a week long trip. We went to Montreal and Quebec last year and enjoyed going to 2 different cities.

I don't think DH wants to go to Nashville. I just don't know what all is around Memphis to do as day trips???
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you done D.C.? That paired with Charlottesville would be nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Have you done D.C.?
    I came here to suggest DC. It's gorgeous here that time of year. The leaves will be turning, it will still be warm, definitely over 50. (I got married the second week of November and wore a spaghetti strap gown with no need for a wrap and I get cold easily). You can rent a car and drive through the Shenandoahs for gorgeous views. There are also wineries (although I am no fan of Virginia wines.) Not to mention all of the sights in DC itself.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

We spent 6 weeks in Atlanta last summer and there is tons to see walking around. The old neighborhoods, the high line trail (can't remember what it is called). There were so many great museums (Atlanta History Center, Art Museum, Civil Rights, Botanical Garden) and Chatanooga is only about 2 hours away but we could easily spend a week there. Lots of good food as well.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post

What is 2-3 hours outside of Atlanta as side trips? I think we want to avoid mountains at the end of October--snow??
    Here's a decent list of day trips from Atlanta: http://localadventurer.com/best-day-...lanta-georgia/

I don't think you really have to worry about snow in Georgia in October or November, even in the mountains.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

I don't think there is more than a day's worth of stuff in San Antonio.

I agree that fall is the best time for dc and dc/Charlottesville is a nice contrast.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast