Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Miami I am not so sure about. Would have to see if there are museums and other nerdy things. Honestly that's what we are--history nerds. I hate shopping, don't want to sit on a beach, don't like spa days. I need to learn, do, and eat!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I know you don't want to go north, but Chicago really has everything you're looking for.
    We were there last November the third weekend in November and we're going again this year at the same time - coincidentally because that's when I could get Hamilton tickets.
    It really wasn't bad - we did things like the architecture boat tour and weren't freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    I know you don't want to go north, but Chicago really has everything you're looking for.
    We were there last November the third weekend in November and we're going again this year at the same time - coincidentally because that's when I could get Hamilton tickets.
    It really wasn't bad - we did things like the architecture boat tour and weren't freezing.
    Definitely saving Chicago for warmer weather. I went 20 years ago and have been for conferences. Definitely want to go again.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

St. Augustine, Florida or Sanibel/Captiva Island, Florida
    DD '06
    DD '14

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Miami I am not so sure about. Would have to see if there are museums and other nerdy things. Honestly that's what we are--history nerds. I hate shopping, don't want to sit on a beach, don't like spa days. I need to learn, do, and eat!!
    You should of Charleston then, Tons of history-- the city itself, Fort Sumner, the plantation tours.

I ordered the Charleston and Savannah Fodors guides this evening. I already started looking at VRBOs in Charleston. I think that's where I am looking. (if we don't go, I can add it to my library of travel books...one of my weaknesses)

Thanks to everybody for tossing around ideas.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Chicago and Detroit- hear me out on this. Not sure there's enough in Chicago for a week, and it might be cold, but so much to see and do, food is fabulous. I have friends near Detroit and there's a lot of cool stuff there too. The drive from Chicago to Detroit is about 4.5 hours, rent a car, see some of Michigan. Again, not warm, but it's also off season so the museums etc won't be as busy.

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I ordered the Charleston and Savannah Fodors guides this evening. I already started looking at VRBOs in Charleston. I think that's where I am looking. (if we don't go, I can add it to my library of travel books...one of my weaknesses)

Thanks to everybody for tossing around ideas.
    Love both of those places and you can do both easily. I would do savannah first as so quirky and Charleston is so blingy and gorgeous it might be disappointing to go to Savannah second. But I loved both places and would definitely go back. Have fun planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you are still planning a vacation and considering Savannah, I am going to put in a little plug for my adopted hometown of St. Augustine. If you were thinking of combining Savannah and Charleston, but are afraid the cities are too similar, consider driving south. True, St. Augustine is about half an hour further from Savannah (about 2.5 hours as opposed to Charleston's 2 hour drive)...but culturally, it is a very different city...more Spanish than traditionally southern. As America's oldest city, it has plenty of history...some interesting museums...and some excellent restaurants. In late October, you may even get beach weather (high temps toward the end of the month are still near 80 degrees) and temps even through November remain in the 70s.

https://www.visitstaugustine.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4