Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Potty training dilemma/frustration

Ds2 just turned 3.5 years old and I had planned on starting his potty training after his camp sessions finished. That was 2 weeks ago, and I've tried few different approaches that I used with DS1. It doesn't seem to work with DS2 who is very strong willed kid, my issue is I feel he is ready because he knows purpose, where and how to sit on the potty.

He talks about how he's a big boy now and can't wear diapers, but whenever I try diaper free day he just loses it. I feel kinda defeated cuz we had a rough start to our summer and I didn't want to start potty training when he was starting camp and no sign of readiness then. We're going to Ireland for 6 nights next week then it's down to our shore vacation the weekend we return back home for another week. Then school starts?!?! I feel stressed out thinking about it as he's starting preschool where they want him to be semi ready potty trained and will work with us on his training in the meantime. But the expectation is it needs to be done by Christmas break though, by then DS2 will turn four after the new year. So in my long winded way, I do feel it is time for him to let go of his diapers but how?

Tips, advice and commiseration would be greatly appreciated here! I never had this much trouble with our oldest and know every child is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

While I'm generally not a fan--have you tried pull-ups? Then he'd at least partially have the diaper feel he's wanting, but with the ease of undies? Does he use the potty at all? Have you tried toilet vs little potty? Our older 2 grandsons hopped up on the toilet backwards while training, all on their own. Their little brother is scared of the toilet and will only use the little potty.

Its definitely a busy time in your family to be potty training as well!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would take a break from it if he's pushing back. You can potty train over a weekend in the fall or worst case over the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I would take a break from it if he's pushing back. You can potty train over a weekend in the fall or worst case over the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Agree. Don't pick this battle!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd just wait. As annoying as diapers are, they'll actually probably be easier than a newly potty trained kid for traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks guys. I'll wait, as good point about traveling! Not worth the stress of trying to deal with a newly potty kid overseas.

Meantime I'll still need tips how best to begin and to keep it going when I start though! It'll probably be somewhere near and over Labor Day as kids don't start school till Sept 7th and 11th. So that's big chuck of gap time I want to take advantage since we all will be around home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Definitely don't do anything before you leave for an international trip. I mistakenly potty trained DD two weeks before a cross country flight and we had a big argument about whether she'd have to wear a pull up on the airplane. She insisted she'd be fine, but I wasn't going to take a newly potty trained two year old on an airplane wearing underwear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with waiting until after your trips. But I would start talking it up now. Like, "when we get back from x trip, no more diapers." Let him know it's coming. Then when you start, I would let him choose pull ups or underwear, but no more diapers. Also in the mean time, I would practice on the toilet or little potty if he hasn't already. We started with just going at bedtime while we were changing into pjs and/or in the morning when getting dressed.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    I agree with waiting until after your trips. But I would start talking it up now. Like, "when we get back from x trip, no more diapers." Let him know it's coming. Then when you start, I would let him choose pull ups or underwear, but no more diapers. Also in the mean time, I would practice on the toilet or little potty if he hasn't already. We started with just going at bedtime while we were changing into pjs and/or in the morning when getting dressed.

Agreed. Wait after the trip, but in a enthusiastic way, build up that it is happening right after. We had them go on the potty before we left in the morning, before baths, and before bed at night while in diapers. Mine were younger so might not be necessary for you, but I also had them pull their own pants up and down after diaper changes to get used that part. When you start, know what his currency is for reward. M&ms, prizes, stickers never worked, but over the top praise and celebration/cheer dancing by all of us did.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would also wait until after the trip.
    Then it is time to BRIBE. I went with a prize shelf so the rewards were tangible and obvious. Just little trinkets like a car or some stickers. Then start with getting at least on pee on the potty on a day gets a prize for that day(max 1 a day) Work your way up to dry all day being the requirement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast