Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

They do it when they are ready, give it time. 3.5 is early for a boy and a battle of wills isn't worth it. Follow his cues. If he isn't ready, mentally or emotionally or physically, no amount of bribes or training will change it. Hang in there, it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    They do it when they are ready, give it time. 3.5 is early for a boy and a battle of wills isn't worth it. Follow his cues. If he isn't ready, mentally or emotionally or physically, no amount of bribes or training will change it. Hang in there, it will happen.

I agree with this.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post

Yup, my son didn't want prizes or candy or bribery or fanfare of any kind. I tried it ALL. He just did it when he was ready to do it. When I praised him that first time, he gritted his teeth and pretty much growled at me. He wanted NO ATTENTION paid to potty issues. Shrug. Once he decided though, that was it, he was 100% trained and that was that. A complete 180 from my older daughter who loved the M&Ms and the fanfare.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree with waiting until after vacation. We did the 3 day method, and gave stickers as a reward, but I am not sure how much of a motivator the reward was. I just have to say that day 1 was a total disaster. Accidents everywhere, never went in the potty. So much laundry. The start of day 2 was the same and then suddenly success! And some accidents, but some success too! Day 3 was even better. So don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. Stay positive and don't make a big deal out of accidents.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No advice but when my DS was 3 1/2 we tried training him at home and were getting nowhere. He couldn't move up to the next class at school until he was potty trained. When he was at school and saw all his friends using the bathroom and getting to move to "the big side", that was all it took. He day and night trained in a day. He is as stubborn as a mule, but when he wanted it, he could do it no problem!!!

I agree to wait until after the vacation but to start talking it up now. Also, have him watch videos like Elmo's Potty Time (which you can purchase and stream on Amazon) and Once Upon a Potty. I waited to potty train my son until my cousin and her twin older boys were coming to town. We all went to the store, and all the big boys (including DS) got to pick out new undies. Then we planned lots of activities, and the rule was that all the big boys had to go potty before we could leave for the activity, and all the big boys had to go potty right after we got home. We put DS in undies, and let the joy of being one of the big boys carry him. Every time he made it to the potty, we all sang a song about how he had dry pants. He had one accident on the first day, and then he was pretty much trained. The inclusion with the big boys, the air of celebration, and the lure of the exciting activities all really helped-- and I'd been trying to train him unsuccessfully for a while! It took intervention from someone other than me to give him the incentive he needed. I don't know if you've got older boy relatives or friends like that around, but it might really help. And the videos. The videos helped, too. They're super insipid, though, and you may be watching them long after potty training is complete, but I think it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

It's usually best to wait it out if they are resisting that much.Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2