Default Awkward funeral award goes to my family!

Family funeral today.

--Drunk Men Count... 2
    --Grieving Adult Children There With Partners That Widow (their mom!) Doesn't Know Are Partners... 2 (you know, they're just good friends that have lived in a 1-bedroom apartment together for 20+ years!)
    --Times Drunk Men 1&2 Got Up to Make Another Speech... 4
    --Times I Heard "DD Is Sooooo Tall!"... lost count
    --Times DD's Birthfather Stared at Her... 4 (usually caught by my BFF who stared him down until he looked away)

Really, though, the most awkward was the situation with (adopted) DD's birthfather (who is also my brother). He's there with his current GF. His ex-wife brought them. Why is it his ex-wife? Well, my DD is proof that he was having an affair with DD's birthmother (another former partner). I adore his ex-wife. She's wonderful. Sweet, caring, amazing. But I feel guilty when she sees DD, because that's got to hurt.

At any rate, glad it's over, and I just needed to tell "someone."
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh My!
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

If it wasn't my family, it would be highly entertaining. As it is your family-ugh. sorry.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Pat yourself on the back for surviving all that. I think you and your DH need to come up with a little drinking game or something to get you through the next family gathering.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    If it wasn't my family, it would be highly entertaining. As it is your family-ugh. sorry.
    OP here-- I would totally find it entertaining typically...Social anxiety at its worst at the funeral, as it was my old church before I got married, and so I had a lot of church friends witness it.

Now-Deceased had been in the hospital for several days before his passing, so there was a lot of entertaining things then that I am more able to laugh about. Like with the pastor comes to pray over this man on his deathbed and widow-to-be harangues said pastor about her inability to see the words on the screen for worship music for 20 minutes each on 2 different occasions. ... Or when they cleared out a whole hall of the hospital for us (moved 2 patients) because there were too many of us and we needed more room. ... The nights we spent 4-5-6 adults sleeping in the lobby on the floor like it was a good-old-fashion cousin sleepover and we were all kids. ... I mean, until I remembered we get to face Pastor every week (bless his heart, he deals with her attitude so well), and that my coworkers saw all my cousins drooling on pillows on the floor, snoring!
    --Mimi

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    Pat yourself on the back for surviving all that. I think you and your DH need to come up with a little drinking game or something to get you through the next family gathering.
    We got that It was a game of "text inappropriate commentary to each other; bonus points if you get the 'other wife' [my BFF] to laugh at inappropriate/unfortunate times." Because, well, we already know who would have taken alcohol from us if they knew we had any, lol!
    --Mimi