Default Help! Clothes for Hawaii?

Posting this on Lounge for traffic and time pressure--
    So long time no post! Hi everyone! I"m not sure if anyone remembers me, but i'm done with nursing school and have been working and as a bit of a "reward/graduation gift/birthday present" my best friend is taking me on a trip to Hawaii !!! we were going to go out of the country, but someone couldn't get her act together and get a passport.... plus, his family's timeshare came up and it seemed convenient. so, yay that's super fun , right?

well, it's about 2 weeks and i'm freaking out because i have no idea what to pack besides swimsuits and sunscreen my mother went last year, but she's kinda not helpful. she just said "it's pretty casual - shorts & capris" and i feel like i need more direction.

any tips? i'm going for a week. how much do i need to take? i have 3 swimsuits? is that overkill? i like options

we're going to Kauai. I'm a huge planner, but work has me completely behind the 8 ball!!!! (plus i wear uniforms and suddenly feel like i have no clothes and all the ones i do have are frumpy )

HELP PLEASE also, i love recommendations. we already have tickets to our luau and a car. he sent me a website of activities sent by the resort and i haven't even looked at it....this is complete role reversal for us and i feel bad....he's usually the laid back one that i have to get on about plans.
    thank you in advance!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Nope 3 suits is not over kill do you have at least 2 cover ups and a hat/ sunglasses. I tend to dress in sundresses a lot on vacation to tropical areas They can be used for dress up or down casual shorts for hiking trips pair of hiking sandals or sneakers One light wrap or cover incase you get chilled in the evening I tend to wear one on the airplane over a light top anyway. I like light and flowy but that's my style.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Congrats on graduation and how exciting for the trip!

I agree with Jeana - sundresses, shorts & t-shirts for hiking (and good sneakers or hiking shoes with socks), sandals or flip-flops (whatever you're comfortable in) for evenings, and definitely a lightweight wrap. I took a pashmina when we went to Maui in 2007 and that was just enough for cooler evenings.

If you don't have a hat, sunglasses, and a cover-up, definitely get those. DH and I bought water shoes when we were there for wading in the ocean; I'd bring or buy some.

Pack more sunscreen than you think you'll need; the lower latitude means you get more direct sunlight and you'll burn more easily.

Have a gret trip!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I might be weird but I've been cold every time I've gone to Hawaii so I'd at least bring a couple of sweatshirts and ways to cover up. Otherwise beachwear all the way!

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can be in a swimsuit and pareau/wrap for the entire day, and then throw on shorts/sundress at night for dinner. You can get by with one or two dresses, 1-2 pairs of shorts, 3-4 shirts. Pack less than you think you need, take a sweatshirt for plane. Sneakers for plane/hiking/touring, flip flops for everything else.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm different if I'm taking a suitcase its going full. I change my mind way to many times on what I want to wear for dinner I'd do 4 -5 sun dresses 4 pairs of shorts with tops a pair of capri's 3 swim suites 2 or 3 cover ups/ sarong 3 pairs of sandals/flipflops and something to walk in. I'd rather over pack by 2 days then underpack.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I looooove Hawaii. Take all 3 swimsuits so you always have a dry one. Bring 1-2 coverups plus flip-flops. I like to wear long flowy casual dresses in Hawaii. They're easy to throw on over a bathing suit to get lunch, you can wear them to dinner, they provide relief from the sun on your legs, and they make me feel resort-y. Bring a light pashmina wrap b/c it can get a little breezy chilly at night in Kauai. Short/tshirts/hiking shoes if you will hike. I'd bring one lightweight pair of pants (not jeans b/c they will likely be too warm). Man now I wish I was going to Hawaii!! Bring beach reading, sunglasses, extra sunscreen and a big floppy hat. Have fun!

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The sun is so strong there.... I prefer not to use a lot of sunscreen, so I'd take a big floppy sun hat as well as a rash guard if you plan on doing any water sports or snorkeling.

For the snorkeling, I recommend Poipu Beach. Have fun!!!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011