Thread: Class Roster

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Class Roster

Just got the class list, and my DD2 does not have a single good friend in the class. And this is a girl with seven girls she calls her "Bffs." I am not looking forward to telling her. There aren't that many classrooms, so there's a good possibility that the bulk of her friends are together in another room. Which will add to the ouch. Plus I'm sad for me as I've loved volunteering with these girls' moms. We've made a great no-drama team, we always had someone to call if we weren't sure about a classroom event or project. And now I don't recognize any of the parent names.

Sigh.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This just happened to my DD. Of the 5 girls from her class last year that are good friends, 4 ended up together and she's in another class. With each one that she found out about she got more and more upset. It's been two weeks now and things are much better. She still sees the girls at recess and lunch (and her two BFFs in the after school program) so it hasn't been too bad. The weekend leading into the first day was awful and very tear-filled.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Us too

hopefully all of our kids will do well regardless.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

So hard! DD had that happen in 1st grade. They weren't even in the same lunch and it was just a really hard start to the year. I hope your kids all do well!

I know this is BP, so feel free to ignore. But if your school takes any types of inputs on classes, for 2nd and 3rd grade, I sent a list of about 10 girls that DD would be comfortable with in her class and asked if at least 1 could be in with her so that the start of the year was easier. I made the list as long as I could to make it easier on the placement. It worked for both years. She is going into 6th now and has a large group of kids that she knows, so it's making it much easier for her.
    Kris

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    So hard! DD had that happen in 1st grade. They weren't even in the same lunch and it was just a really hard start to the year. I hope your kids all do well!

I know this is BP, so feel free to ignore. But if your school takes any types of inputs on classes, for 2nd and 3rd grade, I sent a list of about 10 girls that DD would be comfortable with in her class and asked if at least 1 could be in with her so that the start of the year was easier. I made the list as long as I could to make it easier on the placement. It worked for both years. She is going into 6th now and has a large group of kids that she knows, so it's making it much easier for her.
    This is such a great idea! I hope I remember this for next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wish our schools sent out class rosters. You find out who your teacher is and who is in your class the first day of school after the bell rings and the teacher calls out their list of students.. My oldest DS isn't with his two best firends, but at least there were a few kids he did know. I had a feeling it would happen as he was being put into a GATE class, and I knew his friends did not qualify for that class. I did not tell him that though as there was no sense in dwelling over something he couldn't fix. My younger DS got put with 2 boys that I was really hoping he would be separated from. They both got amazing teachers, and to me that is more important.

I will say as a teacher, we put so much time and effort into setting up classes. There are a million different factors that we have to consider. We get so many requests to keep these kids apart, or put these kids together, and we try to honor them, but there is other criteria we have to balance out first.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hugs to your Dd, Op. I remember being terrified over the summer about class placement for the fall when I was in elementary. When I didn't get to be with my close friends I did learn to make new friends, so that was a silver lining. But it's still scary as a kid. And it's hard as moms to see our kids suffer.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    My oldest DS isn't with his two best firends, but at least there were a few kids he did know. I had a feeling it would happen as he was being put into a GATE class, and I knew his friends did not qualify for that class. I did not tell him that though as there was no sense in dwelling over something he couldn't fix.
    That was our situation as well.

That sucks for you, OP. Having no experience with class rosters except for this year, as our 1st year in public district, it's all online now. Which is a departure from the previous years where families would get their summer mailings in the mail from our district last week of August with the teacher's name, room number and class roster of other kids in classroom. It's different this year, with just your teacher name known online during 3rd week of August. A lot of families resorted to our town FB group trying to find out all the other kids for their child(ren) amongst other moms, and later found out rosters would be handed out on first day of school.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14