Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Part vent/part whine

I know this is whiny, but just bear with me.

Every four to six weeks, a really good friend of mine likes to host a ladies' evening. And I just can't get up for it lately. Mainly for these two reasons:

1. It's a potluck, so I always have to figure out what to take. The last couple of times I took buffalo chicken dip, but it looks like a couple of other people are bringing dips this time, so I'm back to square one. But either way, once you add in the time to shop and prepare whatever dish, I feel like half of my day is taken up by this party.

2. (And honestly, if it wasn't for 2, 1 wouldn't be so bad). Although I love my friend, I'm not really friends with anyone else who comes. I only see them at my friend's house. And they are perfectly nice -- but it just feels like I'm always making awkward small talk. It's definitely not the case where I'm getting together with a group of girlfriends.

I realize that my presence hardly makes or breaks the party. I'm not that conceited. lol But she invites me every single time, and every time I feel like I should go if I don't have a good reason not to. I also think they make me a little sad because when she first started these almost 10 years ago, more of our mutual friends where invited. And they were tons of fun. But for various reasons, those people don't come anymore. *sigh*

Anyhoo, I wish I was more pumped up because I truly adore my friend.

And if you read all of this, do you have an appetizer suggestion?
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

I have an appetizer! Take meatballs with BBQ sauce on them in a crockpot! I buy the precooked turkey ones. No effort because the crock pot or better if you have a pressure cooker does all the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I do meatballs in a crockpot too! I use a jar of apricot jelly, bottle of BBQ sauce and TJ's Party Meatballs.
    Don't do hummus. Swear to goodness, all the potlucks here in the last year have been like 70% pita or veggies and hummus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woohoo! I just signed up for meatballs. SnuggleBuggles, do you have recommendations of how much of everything and how long it should be in a crockpot? If there's a way to mess up food, I'll do it if I don't have guidance.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Woohoo! I just signed up for meatballs. SnuggleBuggles, do you have recommendations of how much of everything and how long it should be in a crockpot? If there's a way to mess up food, I'll do it if I don't have guidance.
    I eyeball it but usually one jar of sauce (I get the Trader Joe's KC BBQ) and one jar of jelly. That's good for 1-2 bags of the meatballs, depends on how saucy you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I usually just buy pre-cut fruit if I'm in a hurry...I'm on a diet though so I always feel like these things are so full of "naughty" food, I try and balance it out.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For the next one after meatballs I'd consider something like baked brie. Costco sells one already wrapped in pastry or you can make your own with minimal effort with just brie, frozen puff pastry and jam. I use a recipe similar to this and it's always a hit. http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-bri...reserves-48907

Costco has some awesome marinated mozzarella balls that are great on a toothpick with a cherry tomato. They also have appetizer packages with cheese/salami rollups. Or buy a round bread boule, cut a chunk out of the center, fill with a tub of spinach dip.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lots of times I just bring the bagged kale salad from TJ's or Costco and there's never any left! There's always people bringing desserts and drinks and most people are usually happy with some kind of salad in the mix.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yes to the bagged salad, for my area those are always a hit when thrown in with the other typical apps. Costco has an Asian one I really like and it's huge.

And, skip it sometimes if you just can't deal. It'll be more special when the next one rolls around.

I get it. Feel free to skip if it's not in your cards for this month. I've been there and sometimes taking a break makes it more fun to come back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast