I know this is whiny, but just bear with me.

Every four to six weeks, a really good friend of mine likes to host a ladies' evening. And I just can't get up for it lately. Mainly for these two reasons:

1. It's a potluck, so I always have to figure out what to take. The last couple of times I took buffalo chicken dip, but it looks like a couple of other people are bringing dips this time, so I'm back to square one. But either way, once you add in the time to shop and prepare whatever dish, I feel like half of my day is taken up by this party.

2. (And honestly, if it wasn't for 2, 1 wouldn't be so bad). Although I love my friend, I'm not really friends with anyone else who comes. I only see them at my friend's house. And they are perfectly nice -- but it just feels like I'm always making awkward small talk. It's definitely not the case where I'm getting together with a group of girlfriends.

I realize that my presence hardly makes or breaks the party. I'm not that conceited. lol But she invites me every single time, and every time I feel like I should go if I don't have a good reason not to. I also think they make me a little sad because when she first started these almost 10 years ago, more of our mutual friends where invited. And they were tons of fun. But for various reasons, those people don't come anymore. *sigh*

Anyhoo, I wish I was more pumped up because I truly adore my friend.

And if you read all of this, do you have an appetizer suggestion?