Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I am so unimpressed with dd's new school

Dd is starting high school. I guess this is mostly a vent although I am curious if this would be typical of your local high school. Dd receives special education services, which may or may not be a part of this equation. I will say that there is a long history of her falling through the cracks, and a very high percentage of parents are unhappy with our school district. During the Spring, I had 2 separate meetings with high school folks; some of it is standard for kids on IEPs, some because of dd's long standing history of being missed. Okay, that's the background.

Early last week, all parents received an automated call that schedules were on line; registration--in which they collect money, take ID pictures, and give out a hard copy of the schedule were to be later that week. I look on-line, no schedule. I don't panic and we go to registration. Dd is given a schedule. It is completely wrong. There are none of the spec ed classes that were discussed, and no band--which was discussed in detail at the meetings I attended. We are told we can meet with a counselor, which I am initially happy and impressed about. Dd's counselor is actually someone we know--a parent whose kids went to her elementary school, was present in one of the meetings last Spring, and who remembered us. We have to wait about 45 minutes. Counselor basically says the schedule is wrong; not to worry, he and spec ed teachers have a meeting on Monday to discuss schedules; nothing has been done too correct many of the spec ed kids schedules. Okay, good. Monday was soon, but why would they have kids who receive spec ed services show up to get a schedule that is irrelevant to them. Anyway, he says if I don't hear anything by Tuesday, call. I call Tuesday right before school closes. Counselor has not spoken to teacher; meeting did not happen. He advises me to e-mail the teacher. I tell him I am at a doctor's office and don't have access to e-mail. No offer to e-mail or connect with the teacher. Okay.

I happen to run into another parent whose child is going into the same school and receives spec ed services. She asks if I am going to the event that night for kids who are entering with spec ed services. Ummn, no I never heard about it. I decide to try to make it in place of e-mailing. We can't get there right at the start time, since I had late notice about the meeting. We walk in and are greeted by one of the spec ed people who was at a Spring meeting, and didnt remember us (she's actually an asst principal and spec ed falls under her). She doesnt remember us. I don't blame her, as I'm sure she meets lots of new families. I tell her the situation and she refers me to one of the other people in the room. First question out of her mouth is did I hear what she said at the beginning of the night. No, we didn't even know about this so got late notice and came late. Oh, there was a problem with the mailing, a lot of people didn't get notified. Anyway, many schedules are wrong and will not be fixed until Friday. Also, turns out I missed a rather boring slide show containing only info that has been discussed in the Spring.

Later that night, there is an ice cream social for all kids new to the school (first year and otherwise). We go and have to sit through a really boring slide show with info that has been communicated multiple times in multiple ways (and I am not one who usually minds this stuff).

I should also mention that dd's case manager had also said she would contact us the week before school starts to go over dd's schedule. Of course, that has not happened. Tomorrow is Friday and I am sure it will not.

I know schools have so little resources and I am sure this is most of what this is about. I just wish they wouldn't say things would happen when they won't. Dd is very anxious now, as her friends have schedules and she doesn't. Band is a lifeline for her at school, and its not currently on her schedule. I guess my expectations are just too high, but this is so frustrating.
    Last edited by JustMe; 08-31-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes