Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Granada Hills here. We made it to 115 at one point during the week. We've been stuck inside for recess and lunch all week!!! Thankfully at school, I'm in a portable, so my a/c works well, but the a/c in the main building is barely functional. The east coast gets days off for snow and extreme cold. We should get days off for extreme heat!! We have a super old a/c unit at home, and it has not been able to keep up. It is keeping our house around 83 degrees which is better than nothing. The school my DH works at is being used as an evacuation center for the fire. He is assuming they will be back to school on Tuesday. Thankfully this week the temps are supposed to be in the 90's.
    I really feel for you guys over there! It just sounds so unbearable, and agree with you your districts out West should get days off or early dismissal at very minimum for high heat. We do that here for older buildings that doesn't have AC! It's always early dismissal, it's rare to have those kind of dismissals or say off but it does happen.

Wonder why? Is it that if you take day off, yup can't build it back in later in the year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Such a contrast to New Jersey! It's been unseasonably cold here! We have been waking up to 51 degree weather. I'm sitting here with all the windows closed, jeans & sweatshirt on! I wonder if your heat will make its way east?

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    Such a contrast to New Jersey! It's been unseasonably cold here! We have been waking up to 51 degree weather. I'm sitting here with all the windows closed, jeans & sweatshirt on! I wonder if your heat will make its way east?
    Yes! We're in NY and it's been really cool here. We close our pool for the season in two weeks and I'm not sure we'll be able to swim much.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I really feel for you guys over there! It just sounds so unbearable, and agree with you your districts out West should get days off or early dismissal at very minimum for high heat. We do that here for older buildings that doesn't have AC! It's always early dismissal, it's rare to have those kind of dismissals or say off but it does happen.

Wonder why? Is it that if you take day off, yup can't build it back in later in the year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We used to not start school until after Labor Day. But then a few years ago we moved to this early start calendar, and without fail we have a week every August where it is ridiculously hot!!! I'm sure it would cost the district too much money to close, or even do early dismissal. If we went back to our Labor Day start, we would mostly be able to avoid these August heat waves.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    So only two years ago they built a new magnet high school in my town. Guess what they DON'T have at this new high school? ANY kind of AC.
    That's absurd! I cant remember where you live but I thought A/C became a requirement in all buildings at least by the 80s. I get why our HS built in the 60s lacks A/C ...... but I cant fathom any school being built here and not having a/c these days.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2