Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I am being invaded!

My mother called me at work today- told me it was an emergency and to call her ASAP. She has decided she needs to evacuate her South Florida home. Something I totally agree with. That was not the emergency, she was about the buy her one way ticket and wanted to make sure I could be at the airport at that time and would be late - evacuating is stressful and my being late would add to that. Her emergency was making sure I understood how important it was for me to rearrange my schedule to make sure I could pick her up on time.

Ummm, there is one ticket left to to my small northern new england city, just buy the damned ticked and I will come get you, you may have to wait a bit. I explained that while her flight came into at 20 past the hour, I could be there at 25 to the hour. She was really upset.

She is flying in on less than 24 hours notice, staying for an undetermined amount of time. Won't drive my car, wants me to stock all her food and beer. She also wants me to make some schedule changes.

Did I mention we are in the middle of a total DIY bedroom reno - turning the guest room into DD1's room, storing all the basement stuff in the office so the basement insulation company can come this week, so all the toys can go down there. I had to move back all the furniture tonight.

On a positive note, she will meet the curtain guy at the house and has offered to help paint the room.

God I hope Irma gets downgraded, misses her house and she can go home quickly. My sister did offer to take her starting the 17th, I just need to get her a ticket to Philly!

Tracey
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Oh gawd!! breathe deeply. hope that it is just that she is so (understandably) stressed that she isn't thinking correctly. And stock some whiskey for yourself.....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Just tell her you'll be there on time and then get there when you get there. "Oops, traffic." Or whatever. If she was that bent out of shape about you not being there "on time" then I would just tell her you'll make it work.

Good luck! Oy.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I am guessing she is just very stressed. This is a powerful storm! She may not have a house to go back to. Many people can be unreasonable under a lot of stress. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Remember, too, with between Texas and Florida, I doubt half of all flights right now are on time.

That's it!! Tell you were in the "wait for your plane" parking area and the info board said they were delayed by (however many minutes you are late)!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I'm totally joining in on the "I'll be there on time" and then blaming traffic, or a ton of people waiting to get out of the pick-up area!

Part of this would be a bad nightmare for me. My birth mother is also in S Florida. She's due to fly to my area next week for a general visit (obviously not related to Irma). I'm scared to death that she's going to be able to fly out in the middle of any potential devastation, and decide not to go back until her home is repaired/rebuilt/whatever. And of course, I've got the only extra bedroom! I'm sooooo completely maintaining that the bedroom already belongs to the grandkids, and so we can't house anyone more than 6 days--so the boys don't see anyone in their room, lol.

Don't forget to stock up on some wine and sweet treats for you to hide somewhere while you're getting her beer!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oh Dear me,
    I was at work all day:
    Text 1: Where is the Barkeepers Friend
    Text 2: Where is the spaghetti
    Text 3: Nevermind, I tossed the water and am making grilled cheese
    Text 4: Your power is out.
    Text 5: Why won't your wifi work, and the TV won't turn on
    Text 6: The power came back on and the other stuff works now

She wants me to run and get paint and tape before I have to be at work tomorrow so she can "surprise the girls" The closest paint store is 20 minutes each way and I have to be at work for 8am.

Every device she has dings REALLY loudly - the TV is on high volume and she talks really loud. The kids think she is wound up, so they are running around and shouting b/c she is.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

She probably is somewhat wound up as well as hard of hearing. Can you get her to drink more beer??? Or does that make it worse? The paint store is not happening. Do you have to drop off the kids too?? Like how does that even work? Find another project for her.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

holy schnikies. Thank goodness for the escape they call work! I'd be putting my phone on do not disturb and telling her that I'll be in meetings all day and only checking my phone at lunch and before I head home and may not have time to reply. because I wouldn't have replied to any of those. Or gosh, work was just crazy and I didn't have a chance to look at my phone for personal business today, sorry.

My parents just like noise. I can't handle it. The tv is on from the second they get up until they fall asleep with it on at night. AND ITS LOUD. JUST LIKE THIS TYPING. AND FEELS LIKE YELLING ALL THE TIME. They have a big house on lots of acreage and it's just how they are. If they can't hear the tv or their phones from every room of the house, it's not loud enough. If they didn't have hearing damage from before living like this, they do because of it. Of course, my mother doesn't realize there are settings on her phone to change or mute the ringer. so there's also that.

If it's that important to her she can uber to the paint store. Call ahead, have it made up, and she can just run in and get it and come back. or she can call and see if they have any contractors with jobs in the area that would be willing to drop it by. If she wants to do it, she can figure out the logistics and play the martyr when it works out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast