Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What has worked best with my almost 14 year old regarding these kinds of shows is watching with her, and really enjoying the shows, not just watching to lecture. She's got attitude aplenty at times, but honestly I don't notice it's worse or better related to watching a show. We've watched Supernatural (some inappropriate content which she said she fast forwards those parts until I called her on that BS, but at least she knows it's inappropriate!). We love Stranger Things! I took her to see It. Yep. Not ashamed. Her teachers at school even talk about these movies and shows in class. It's relevant. And I'd rather her see it with me. We talk about what we liked, what we think went to far and was for shock value only. Trying to instill some sense of judgement in her in these next 4 years before she's out on her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it is very normal for a neurotypical 14 year old to watch these types of shows. DS will be 15 in less than two weeks and at this point we hardly restrict any TV shows or movies. I wouldn't let him see an NC-17 movie but he has seen plenty of R movies. They don't affect him negatively, however, he is readily able to separate what he sees on the screen from his own behaviors. You need to make decisions on what's best for your own kid, of course. But the shows he wants to watch are perfectly typical teenage fare.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Yes, I would honestly. I totally get where you are coming from. One of my DC has some similar tendencies and is SO VERY influenced by media, others, etc. He is just not much of a leader and is very swayed by his surroundings. I have to be careful or we will all just get attitude/sass/etc directed at us when DC is angry/moody/trying hard to be funny or cool. So yeah, we limit a lot and it makes home life so much better.
    I'm totally in agreement with this.

I have a DS who will be 14 in mere weeks and he also has ADHD. One thing to remember is that ADHD kids are about 30% behind their peers in social and emotional maturity. So your 14yo is more like a 10yo. And maybe some content wouldn't be appropriate for someone of that age. (I'm not really familiar with the programs you mentioned because we don't have cable.) I think it is worth investigating if they might not be as bad as you think and evaluating anew. However, I don't think that you should feel like you have to let him watch the programs just because other kids watch them but then I'm used to be an outlier on content appropriateness, lol.

I do want to mention that the research that I've read does not support the common assumption that strict rules will lead directly to rebellion. In Nurtureshock the authors cite a study that showed that kids who have strict parents were more likely to be honest with their parents and ironically those given the most freedom were more likely to hide things. I was surprised to read that but at the same time when examining my own experience as a teen most of the time it was consistent with what I most often observed.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hi all...

OP here. I just wanted to thank you again for your responses. I just did a google search for another 14yo issue and this thread popped up. I just reread all of the response. It helped.

DS came home with a Game of Thrones book yesterday. He was reading it upstairs in his room. No doubt to hide it from me but I also appreciate that it's also away from 10&12 yo DDs who wouldn't think twice of picking it up. Deep breaths, mama. I have a VERY difficult time with his watching and reading violence. I almost emailed the administration of his school to complain about the content that my immature 14yo freshman (with ADHD) is able to freely check out; HOWEVER, after I read up on the series and addressed my issues with the book (rape, incest, insane violence, etc) DS shrugged and didn't seem concerned and the defensive teen attitude came out. It scares the cr@p out of me what he is exposed to at this age. After a lot of sleeplessness tonight, I think I am going to let him continue on. If he already knows what all of this horrible stuff is and he easily has access to it at school (through library & peers), I am just going to have to give into this one. I don't want him to read this stuff behind my back. I am just going to try to keep an open dialogue, let him see my reactions (or DH because I honestly cannot read or watch this genre), and this way we know what he's reading and exposed to. I am honestly cringing. It just makes me so sad that he WANTS to read this. I guess a "positive" thing is that it's a look into this section of history/culture. Deep breaths...
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Op, what medication is he taking for depression? From your description, it doesn't sound like the depression medication is doing what it is suppose to do. I would talk to his psychiatrist about your concerns. Maybe your DS's behavior is normal or maybe his medication should be adjusted. It also sounds like your DS would really benefit from therapy. Someone outside the family that he can talk to about his frustrations would be very helpful, I think. The therapist could really help you understand what tactic you should take with him too.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Op, what medication is he taking for depression? From your description, it doesn't sound like the depression medication is doing what it is suppose to do. I would talk to his psychiatrist about your concerns. Maybe your DS's behavior is normal or maybe his medication should be adjusted. It also sounds like your DS would really benefit from therapy. Someone outside the family that he can talk to about his frustrations would be very helpful, I think. The therapist could really help you understand what tactic you should take with him too.
    Oh my! Just seeing this. Thank you.

He just had an increase in his anti-depressant (sertraline) over the summer. We DID see an improvement. We have been toying with the idea of switching both the psychiatrist and therapist. The psychiatrist hasn't been listening to our request for a new medication for a very long time. DS hasn't been cooperating for the therapist for a while either. I just found someone who can help with organization and therapy but they are out of network. Going to look into it a little further before we proceed. So frustrating. I feel like we are just going around in circles, which I HATE for DS. I hate wasting precious time.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Not a game of thrones fan but many, many teens and adults read it. I wouldn't freak out. And it is good he is seeing someone but reading GOT and other things you mention wouldn't bother me as much. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

It's also all over TV, so it's something his peers are watching and talking about. Scholastic puts the reading level at grade 9-12, so he's within that age bracket. Talk to him about it and the concepts being discussed. If it's forbidden, he'll hide it and you lose the chance to discuss it and help him process it. If he likes the fantasy aspect of Games of Thrones, there's other series to explore that aren't as violent. Take him to the library/bookstore and see what's there. I was reading Lord of the Rings by 12. Maybe nudging him to something in same genre, but less violent is a good compromise.

I don't like Supernatural. DH watches it. DS is 12 and likes the super heroes based shows so Flash, Supergirl, there's a new X-men spin off too. So it's the super powers theme, but not a scary as supernatural.

I'm a school SLP and work with students on social skills. The TV shows/books give them something to discuss the next day at school. Not knowing anything about them, can make it difficult to interact, especially for kids that already are struggling socially. I'd try to find a way that he has some common ground with his peers. If it's not the shows/sports, then does he play sports? DS's friends all big soccer fans, so that's a topic of discussion. How about music? Is into latest music?
    Last edited by niccig; 10-17-2017 at 01:29 AM.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also have a 14.5 DD with ADHD, she is pretty mature and for the most part the ADHD is handle with her meds, but we have the usual teen issues like everyone has said. You are not alone!

I also agree that taking away the TV shows that all of his peers will be watching only hurts him. Like others said the Big Bang Theory is pretty tame, GOT- that's another story, the TV show is very violent and has plenty of nudity and sex, which I'm sure the book has as well, so that you'll probably need to have some frank discussions about. My DD has snapchat and instagram, and honestly all of her friend do as well, her hockey and swim team have a group snaps, and on instragram I know many of my adult friends even follow her. Again, it's how all of her peer group communicate around here, if she didn't have it she wouldn't be a part of the social events. So as much as many parents are very wary of all of this, it's important to allow them access to what you feel they can handle and provide them with help navigating this new world.

It helps if you have watched the shows before or with them, so you can talk about what they are watching.

DD started watching Grey's Anatomy, there is a lot of sex, we have talked about how it's TV, not all doctor's look like McSteamy and most hospital staff are not having sex in the custodial closets. She's in 9th grade and her entire swim team have been binge watching it, they watch on the bus to meets etc!

I agree also agree that it's important that there is a balance, and taking away access to electronics and TV/video games is appropriate.

Both of my kids play travel hockey and are very busy with sports, so watching Netflix for DD and watching stupid youtube video's/xbox for DS age 11 is fine in moderation. I also learned to ease up on violent content, DS was the last of his friends to get Call of Duty, literally every 9 year old we knew had it. He mostly plays sports xbox games but occasionally they play COD, we DO NOT allow games like Grand Theft Auto which has violence against women/prostitutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2