Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Ugh......my new boss is driving me crazy...long

I was assigned my 6th supervisor in the last year three weeks ago (my original supervisor stepped down, and then we went through a massive reorganization and a few people like myself have been moved from supervisor to supervisor) and she is driving me crazy; the last two supervisors I had for four months each were great and very supportive, but this one is the complete opposite. So what has me up in arms is that I feel like she is taking away the ability to my job with her crazy control freak tendencies. I work in insurance and my job is to mange people's medical and monetary benefits when they need insurance and then settle their cases when they essentially no longer need the insurance; and we are in the middle of a huge settlement/closing case project right now so I finally settled two cases that I basically had for their entire life span of 4+ yrs. that had the potential for lots of money to still be paid out on them, plus another case that was disputed, and then a small case that just needed to be settled. All of the cases that were settled were in my authority range but I have to send my settlement papers to my supervisor even though I have been doing this job for 14 yrs. and I get the second set of eyes (my last supervisor said I didn't have to do this as I had enough experience and no
    mistakes were made), but on Thursday evening she reviews these files and emails me that "my papers have problems and she is not releasing them and we can talk about them on Saturday if I come in for overtime or on Tuesday (Monday is my regular day off....I work a 9/80 schedule)" and her regular day off is Friday (she works 4/10s) so I decide to come in at 6:30 for overtime (yesterday) so we can talk about the settlement papers and she proceeds to tell me that "my papers have problems, my cases have problems, my estimates are wrong and my case plans are wrong; and this is overtime and we can't discuss it now so we will discuss it on Tuesday morning." When I hear this I am livid because I didn't have to come in for overtime as I am pretty caught up on my work and fully participating in the closing/settlement project my office is having right now (I have settled 4 cases in the first half of this month (it takes about 4-6 weeks to settle do these started before she was my supervisor) and closed 15 files with another 5-10 ready to close before the project ends in 10/6) but came in so I my papers would go out on Monday vs. Tuesday or Wednesday and because I just wanted to get the conversation over with. I ended up staying for 3/1/2 hours and getting some settlement/closing work done, but now I am beyond nervous about this meeting on Tuesday and I feel like she is going to try to strip me of all settlement authority (I highly doubt she can, but if she tries then I will have to go to the union or her supervisor and I am really trying to stay under the radar and just do my job) because she is essentially treating me like a new employee because I am not doing my job her way (which everyone knows is very particular and she has three members on our team who are her favorites and aren't subject to her over controlling issues). I get that suggestions could be good, but with one suggestion of hers I did try and use I came up with a settlement range of $3500 between the low range and high range, which equals zero wiggle room in my opinion (I can still change it, but if I play by her rules I am stuck with nothing). Before all of this went down I was really happy with my job and imho am having my best year numbers and confidence wise in about 6 years but now I am back to being nervous wreck (it is 6:15 am on a Sunday and I should be sleeping) and am afraid of being combative in our meeting on Tuesday when she criticizes my work.

Thank you so much for reading and if you can't offer me any help just please send me some good vibes in Tuesday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-17-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

That stinks and seems really unfair. I have no advice but wish you luck on Tuesday.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

how frustrating!

Having given up part of a Saturday to go in at her request and then to be told we can't discuss it until the week would make it hard for me keep a cool head, but I'd just be prepared with the facts and keep reminding myself through the meeting, "just the facts." Because I'd be tempted to pop a cork. The other mantra I have at work that sounds like it would work in this scenario is, "just outlast her." Because it sounds like turnover is high and she won't last long. Terrible, but calming for me.

Good luck!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    how frustrating!

Having given up part of a Saturday to go in at her request and then to be told we can't discuss it until the week would make it hard for me keep a cool head, but I'd just be prepared with the facts and keep reminding myself through the meeting, "just the facts." Because I'd be tempted to pop a cork. The other mantra I have at work that sounds like it would work in this scenario is, "just outlast her." Because it sounds like turnover is high and she won't last long. Terrible, but calming for me.

Good luck!
    This ^. If this is what she thinks is ok, she's not going to last long. Her request for working on the wknd, is NOT reasonable, esp for a non-emergency situation. Ride it out, as much as you hate it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    how frustrating!

Good luck!
    This ^. If this is what she thinks is ok, she's not going to last long. Her request for working on the wknd, is NOT reasonable, esp for a non-emergency situation. Ride it out, as much as you hate it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Ugh......my new boss is driving me crazy...long

Ugh... sorry. I hate change of bosses too. On Tuesday listen to what she says, explain your reasons for why you did it that way. If she wants things a particular way, you'll have to do it. Like others said, you just have to outlast her. Hopefully not too long and she'll move on.

Be careful with anything you say to her favorites. Do things get way, keep low profile etc. you've got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 09-17-2017 at 05:36 PM.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

mojo mojo mojo today!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had what I felt was a similar situation myself when my team dissolved years ago.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, Annie. Sending lots of mojo today!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh no. I just can't believe you went in on a Saturday and had that kind of interaction. Wow. I'm sorry. It must be so frustrating. You're going to be great today! Here's hoping for an easy resolution and a SHORT tenure for this boss!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The meeting went better than I expected and I will do what she wants me to and it was honestly nice to have her tell me what I needed to do vs. her assuming I knew what to do. She did make a few comments about some of my work which weren't correct, but I bit my tongue and said nothing because I knew it wouldn't change her mind as she is always right (everyone knows that is her attitude as well). I have no idea how long she will be my supervisor, but I believe she may retire within 2 years; another bonus is she takes a fair amount of vacation.

Thanks for all of your good thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast