hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Anyone with low iron/ferritin figured out root cause

I am back on infusions for low ferritin. In May 2016 I had a ferritin level of 6, I had some gyn work done (D&C, cysts removed), had infusions and everyone figured I was good to go. My periods have been lighter (though still heavy vs most others). My levels are back to a 6 for ferritin. I've made an appointment with a hematologist as my PCP seems uninterested in root cause just happy to give me another set of infusions.

I know there are some others here who have an issue with keeping healthy iron levels. Anyone figured out root cause. Have any suggestions?

I eat red meat, I take iron supplements.

Thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The pediatrician my boys see said both of them have low iron stores. She said their bodies just don't store it properly so they have to replace it to prevent getting anemic. Both are on multivitamins with iron and we eat a lot of iron rich food, but neither are low enough time warranty other intervention. Regarding cause, she said that's just their normal, no other underlying issues at play.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

My SIL has the same problem. She is forever low ferritin. She has infusions, it goes up for a few months and then down again. She eats red meat, eggs, take supplements and also eats iron supplemented food. She does eat a lot of dairy. She's given up on infusions and just continues to keep up on iron intake including food and supplements. Not sure if low iron has does anything to her. She feels tired but that could also be because of wacky thyroid for her.

On the other hand I have really high levels of ferritin. I'm a vegetarian, donot eat eggs but eat tons of green veggies and cook in cast iron. I also don't eat a lot of dairy. I cook keeping food absorption in mind.

Maybe its hereditary? Did you try cooking in cast iron? Reducing coffee/dairy. Do you take enough vitamin C with food to absorb the iron?
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

Mine is really low. It was 7 in May. I don't think I've ever had mine checked before. DS1 has low ferritin. His is because he has an abnormal hemoglobin trait, which was discovered on his newborn screening. DS2 has the same trait, but his hemoglobin has always been normal. I'm guessing I have the same trait and that's where the boys got it. My doctor seemed pretty unconcerned and suggested iron supplements or an IUD to stop my period (they are average not really heavy.). I'm bad and haven't been taking the supplements like I should.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I was in the same boat as you, OP. Discovered my ferritin level was really low last year after having low red cell count since DS1's birth and even lower numbers after having DS2. Constant exhaustion like you was the new norm for me.

what worked for me is taking iron supplements and take vitamin c through food plus supplements to help me to absorb my iron. But the biggest change for me was an IUD! I always suffered from heavy long periods, and they gotten exceptionally heavy (extra long overnight pads for my regular daytime, changing it out every 3 hours heavy!) I got it done late winter and my periods is much lighter and 2 days shorter now. Also just had my annual physical today. My numbers are at it's best ever in the 6 years since having my boys, although my red cell count is still lowish and ferritin is at its highest at 25 now. I used to keep irregular sleeping pattern and changed that which has really improved the level of my exhaustion, I force myself to go bed by 10:30pm most nights even though I don't feel tired yet.

maybe do a sleep study? do you ever feel rested most mornings upon waking up? I don't despite getting 7-8 hours of sleep most nights.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm on bcp to help mine and it has improved. I take them continually (low dose) without any side effects.
    K