Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give me a key

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Give me a key

Update: I took the advice you all gave and spoke with the principal today about what I should do with any students in my room during a lock-down. I told her I knew the district’s policy was for staff to lock the door, but as I don’t have a key, should I take each student back to their class so they’ll be safe? I then mentioned that typically I have 3-4 students from different classes, so should I take them all back to their classrooms? I got a stunned response and lots of “umm, yes, well we’re going to have to think about this.”

At the end of the day, the office manager, who has been very combative about this (which makes me think it’s her issue and not the principal’s), told me they’re ordering a key for me, as they don’t have one for that room, it got lost at some point and they all use their master keys to open it. Until they get it, they’ll need to open the door for me. She was very nice to me, nicer than any other time actually.

I think they just realized they can’t enforce the no key policy.

So thanks everyone. Once I get the key, I’ll be able to lock up my materials without worrying they’ll get taken (I’ve got lots of games), and I can use the staff restroom that’s nearby, and lock the door during a lockdown - unfortunately we get 2-3 of those a year as if there’s police activity near school, the police locks down the school so no one on playground or leaving school. It’s sad, but if there’s a helicopter overhead, my students ask about a lockdown.

————

I’ve worked at one of my schools for 3 years and have a key to the room I use. I’ve had huge increase in number of students and I asked principal if I could swap rooms and use the empty room next door as it’s big enough to have a kidney table and more space for students that need gross motor breaks - it gets used 1 day a week and that person said my current room works for her and she’s happy to swap. I still had to convince principal - first she told me to just carry material into that room. What?! - it’s an empty room and I see 23 students a week there, and I can’t leave students alone if I forget something (majority of my students are in special day classes and need constant supervision).

Anyways principal agreed, but when I asked office manager for key to new room, she won’t give it to me saying I have to ask for the key, go upstairs, unlock the door, then return key to office. At end of the day, I’ll need to get the key again to lock room as it has all of my personally owned materials. I explain I’m there 2 days a week, i also work at school across the road and go over to their school as needed for meetings and to test students, so sometimes I’m there 4 days a week. The room key also unlocks the staff toilet upstairs, so without a key, I’ll have to come downstairs each time I need to pee. I also won’t be able to lock the door when do lock downs. New office manager won’t give out keys unless there 5 days, and new principal is like “well let’s just see if it’s a problem”. The office manager is also grumpy when you ask her for things.

Other staff can’t get a key either, so they have to ask too. They also won’t give them a card to open parking lot, so they have to buzz and office staff take forever to open the gate

So fine, I’ll ask you each and every time to give me the key - looking at my upcoming schedule, I’m going to be in and out every day for the next few weeks! And first lock down drill, my students and I will be in hall trying to go back to class as I can’t lock the room we’re in.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 09-26-2017 at 10:26 PM.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What a PITA. I think I would become very familiar with the lock down policy and keep harping on the point of safety in case there were a gunman, etc.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is crazy! Our OT and SLP share a room. They are there twice a week, but are not there on the same days for the most part. They both have keys to the room.

I would definitely harp on the safety aspect of not having a key. Are you part of the Union? If so that might be an angle to pursue. We have the right to keep our doors locked at all times if we want to. That rule came about after Sandy Hook. You have to be able to lock your room if there is a lockdown.

Default Give me a key

Thanks PZMommy ... I’ll ask principal what to do about lockdown if I don’t have a key. Pretty sure office manager will say to only unlock it so it stays locked and then prop door open during day. She’s got a bee in her bonnet about the keys, and not just with me. It doesn’t seem to be the principal.

I’m in and out of there so often now, I’m sure getting the key from her will bug her. Just have to see if that is more annoying than whatever the issue is with giving us keys. She was annoyed I didn’t hand my key in end of last year, but no one told me to do that. I got my current key and parking card before she worked there. She actually told me no school she’s worked at has given the SLP a room key. I told her every school I’ve worked at has given me a key. I won’t tell her I also have a key to all the gates as I have to go to childcare center through the gate and their office manager got tired of having to open gate for me couple times a week, so gave me a key.

Last edited by niccig; 09-23-2017 at 01:45 AM.

At my school, only the principal and office manager have a key to the main building and main gate. We have a small parking lot (like 10 cars only), so we have to park on the streets. Every teacher and staff member has a key to their room, the copy room, and bathroom. We sign them out in August and return in June.

We are supposed to keep our doors closed and locked anytime we are out of the room. That is another safety issue. If a student were to get inside of your room and get hurt, then you could be held liable. I don’t know how it is at your school, but our SLP is always leaving her room to go pick up students and then take them back to their class. Constantly in and out. I think she tends to leave her door locked, and propped open while she is working in the room, and then just closes it every time she leaves.

What you are saying about your office manager scares me. We have the most amazing office manager, but she is retiring in December. I really hope we get a decent one when she leaves!

Not sure if you have the ability to do this, but I used to be an itinerant, and one of my schools checked out a key to the filing cabinet to me (so I could lock up my purse and things) and said, "Please don't lose it, that is our only key." So I took it to a key copy place and had a copy made, then I kept the original at the school in my desk so it would never be lost.

Can you check the key out and then copy it?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches Keane View Post
    Not sure if you have the ability to do this, but I used to be an itinerant, and one of my schools checked out a key to the filing cabinet to me (so I could lock up my purse and things) and said, "Please don't lose it, that is our only key." So I took it to a key copy place and had a copy made, then I kept the original at the school in my desk so it would never be lost.

I'm pretty sure copying the key would be illegal, especially as they are saying she can't have a key.

I'm also a SLP and have had key issue. At one nursing home they wouldn't give me a key, so I had to track down a nurse, interrupt her duties, have her come down to my room and unlock it. It sometimes resulted in a 10 to 15 min delay of me waiting in the hall while the nurse did her thing. I was on the clock, although not able to do any billable work, and so my company quickly intervened, they don't like paying you when you can't bill.

I would take it up with the principal, explain the situation clearly, starting with the lockdown issue, and then the other difficulties, and peeing is one of the big ones!The principal may not be aware of how inconvenient it is for you.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is this also an issue when a child needs to use the restroom during your session? If so, I'd add that to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches Keane View Post

I’m in the same district and All of our keys have the do not duplicate on them. A teacher lost her key once and had to pay the district almost $700 to get a new key made, plus they had to rekey a bunch of doors. I do not think there is any way to get a copy of the key.

Update in 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast